Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new or used

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Sep 24, 2002.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    alright, so i'm pretty set on getting an ampeg svp pro. my qsc rmx 850 is on it's way. i'm looking at 3 different used svp's. one is alot older, VERY affordable, and the guy says it's in great condition, w/ new tubes. the other two are alittle newer, alittle more expensive, but again...they say they're in perfect condition. non are the original owners. i could afford a new one...i got a great price on a new one, it'd be alittle more, but i could pay it off, instead of sending a money order all at once. if something goes wrong with it, i could always go back to the store, plus i'd have the ampeg warranty. what would you guys suggest?

2. Man, I never buy nuthin new if I can find what I want used and in good shape. The only exception might be basses. I like to get my basses new, but other than that, let somebody else absorb the cost of buying new gear. Most of the gear we bassists use is designed to last for decades anyway.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I buy used whenever possible, it saves mucho dinero. WIth Ebay and the net in general, I can find pretty much anything I'm looking for, and pretty cheaply.

I tend to cycle through gear every year or two, always trying the "latest thing" and new configurations. I've never had a problem with any piece of used hear I bought via the net. Always make sure you get an assurance to try it out for refund within a few days, just in case.

With guitars, try to find a similar model in a local store, try it out and see if its for you. If you like it, THEN buy the used one. At least if you buy used sight unseen, you can generally always turn around and resell it for about what you paid, provided you purchased it at a reasonable price.

4. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    If you expect to keep the ampeg for several years, I'd get the new one if it wasn't significantly more money. This is because they have a 5 year warranty.

5. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Mind telling where you are getting a "killer deal" on the new SVP-Pro?

I have (2) RMX-850s and they work great.

6. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    if i get the new one, it'll be a store here in pa. it's not a raging deal or anything, but it's enough where i know i could do it. $450 plus tax. that's what bassnw.com sells them for also. anyway, i'm still torn. i'd be the 3rd owner, probably have to replace the tubes soon, and not have the warranty. if i go new, i don't need to replace the tubes for awhile, i got the warranty, but i'm paying more money.

does anyone know how to date these based on the serial number. i know there are cosmetic differences, but is that it? the used one i'm thinking about getting has the red and blue writing on the front panel. thanks