New or Vintage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Oct 15, 2005.

Brand New or Vintage Used?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2005.
  1. Brand Spaking New!

29 vote(s)
  2. Vintage all the way!

17 vote(s)
  3. I don't have a preference.

28 vote(s)
  1. Now this has been stuck in the back of my head for the longest time, do you consider vintage basses to be your favorite, or a brand new one straight from the factory? When i think of it, i like the dings and wear and tear of vintage instruments, because i imagine all the gigs its been through and all the stories it can tell. But when i think of fresh out of the factory, its like you're the first ever to play that bass and give it a history. What's your preference?
  2. I like them new. Got a Fender built for me this year becuase Fender didn't have them.

In 50 years it'll have dings, scratches, and some paint missing. I'll just stare at it, remembering how I was just 16 when I got it.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1 One of the reasons I dig my Lull, Lakland etc basses so much :bassist:
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'd rather wear it out myself. Somebody else's old bass doesn't stir any feeling in me. (Unless it's someone famous)
  6. Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I like instruments that are old and quirky. After a certain amount of time, whatever has happened to the instrument has turned it into something unique and almost one-of-a-kind.
  7. I'd say it depends on the sound you are going for, vintage tone is clearly differnt from more modern insturments
  8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Vintage, if it's still usable.
  9. Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    I'm more into modern-sounding basses, so new.
  10. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Vintage all the way-especially for passive basses.
    Just my 2 cents:
    Why do you think so many new makers try to duplicate the P and J designs? It's a bizzare concept to me that other manufacturers base new products on "copies". Certainly a business model unique to our world.

When there is a truely usable, mass-producable breakthrough in pickup design and body configuration, I'll change my point of view. As for now, there is timeless beauty and efficiency associated with an old J or P bass.
  11. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Largely new basses but the right kind of vintage is good for me too (think 70s Jazz Bass in decent condition and fully playable).
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Somewhere inbetween. I like basses from the 90's. I dont like the way basses from the 80s feel, and the 70s are too expensive/vintage for me. The 90s is good because they have character, feel great, and sound great.

Mostly the brands im refering to seem to be Musicman, Warwick, maybe fender.