1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Orange 8x10 and UltraLight Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

FINALLY! The Orange 810 is going to make a lot of people happy. However, I'm sure they'll cost an arm and a leg.:meh:

2. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Nice! Just what my AD200 has been waiting for.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "utilises, for the first time in this market, Isobaric loudspeaker construction"

Depends on what they mean by "this market", but Ampeg had isobaric bass cabs back in the day.

4. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

agreed;)

5. adam precision

adam precision

Mar 26, 2008
    Ireland
    It be nice if the 210 would stack neatly on my obc115. Doubt it tho..

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    And EA made a few iL-110's.

Still, I like the fact that Orange is not taking a cookie cutter approach to their lightweight/compact lineup. I can't wait to put these through their paces! :D :bassist: :cool:

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have to admit something about them is intriguing to me too. A 4x12 stack taking up the same stage space as a (deep front-to-back) 2x12 stack, with Orange's good looks, in neo weight... if they don't suck then that's a lot of cool!

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Thing is, isobarics have low SPL per watt, as Bill said in some related thread. When all is said and done, isobarics (though I built one a few years back) have pretty limited application if you are looking for SPL per pound or SPL per cubic foot.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Bill's post:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7164127&postcount=5

Also to note, in clamshell arrangements ferinstance by the time you enclose the second driver not for internal space but for protection, you have a bulkier, heavier enclosure than if you just had it hanging off the baffle. Another gotcha.

10. Can someone explain this isobaric thing to me? Picture? Are they putting two 12" speakers say in a normal 1x12 box? Do they both mount outwards? I just woke up... but this confuses me at the moment. ;)

11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    +1 Greenboy, please give us the poop on this.

12. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    I was wondering about this. Adding another speaker, even if it's neo, and another soundboard? Can't wait to see how much it weighs.

13. isobaric is mounting 2 speakers facing into eachother. lets you use a smaller box to get the same low end response, but sacrafices sensitivity. you also use 2 speakers where you would otherwise use one. they wont be cheap, as you would use double the speakers, and a more complicated box design. they will/should be light and compact though.

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    By sticking a pair of woofers one behind the other so they move in synchrony you get the same effect as if you had one woofer with a cone that was twice as heavy, suspension twice as stiff and motor twice as strong. The effective doubling of moving mass halves the efficiency whilst the doubling of suspension stiffness halves the cabinet size required for a given F3.

From a marketing perspective you can quote impressive -3dB points, power handling and speaker count all from a small box but that doesn't tell the whole story!

Alex

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    That's the clamshell arrangement, with drivers wired reverse-polarity. It's not the only way to do isobaric. Another is to face one driver forward into the other, connected by a cylinder that driver mounts to in back, the other driver mounted to its front. Wired same-polarity.

I found that additional box size to either mount both drivers facing forward, or to protect the rear-facing driver of a clamshell takes a little patina off that assumption. The mass-loaded one I built maybe six years ago was a marvel to hear at first, but it ran out of xmax quicker at the lower tuning the added mass allowed, so I found the tradeoffs not as attractive as first blush seemed to indicate. It seemed to exhibit power compression more too.

Maybe that'd be better with modern neo drivers with especially long excursion. But then again, there are modern subwoofer drivers that can handle mass wattage and do well in small boxes while producing big SPL without isobaric designs. So I don't know if it's worth it for the additional enclosure and driver-mounting gotchas.

I'd never use one for midrange either - either driver alone sounded better "full range" than the isobaric combination did, so it's lucky it was intended as a subwoofer ; } ...Probably a better isobaric could be designed if a custom isobaric driver with a single amalgamated frame was made especially for the task.

16. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I tried one of the Ampeg IsoVents back in the day. It sounded BIG. It didn't have the loud clarity of my Edens, but it filled the room more like a folded-horn does. To put it another way, the punch isn't as memorable, but the remaining bruises are. It seemed to offer the bottom of a 2x15, the clarity of a 2x10+tweeter, the size of a 4-1/2x10, and the weight of an 8x10. The math didn't quite add up, but I wouldn't mind picking up one someday. The new Oranges might make more sense.

17. Acquistapace

Acquistapace

Feb 28, 2009
    Orange Fridge = Win for punchy midbass, I'm betting. Here's hoping the cost doesn't break my heart/wallet.

18. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Isobaric

isobaric.

19. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Squarewave, in each of the drawings you posted, unless both sides of one of the woofers is enclosed they aren't really isobarics. But the drawings do show the various woofer configurations.