1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New order / Joy Division fans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wasim, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    I want to play bass and love Peter Hook's music. My limit is $300. What should i be considering? Cheers

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just go to the music store and pick up the bass you like the most after checking them out. Like most bassists, Hook's sound is a combination of bass, strings, amp, touch, and attitude. Unless you want to be a clone, you can emulate his approach on most any bass.

3. ^ I agree that you can pretty much emulate his sound with any bass/amp setup. Touch and attitude is what counts IMHO.
    I'm a huge Peter Hook fan. His style is more of a lead rather than your standard support role.

Now... $300....? Spend it wisely.

4. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Do you think 300 is a bit weak? I would have to wait a good 6 months longer to afford anything around the ~500 range.

I don't want to be a clone by any means - there far too many around as it is. He is just a big influence and the main reason i want to play bass.

Any bass is a bit vague... any i should definately steer clear of?

5. What counts in a bass, is that your comfortable with it.
    Definetly check out used basses. Most good music stores will work with you finding something in your price range.
    If you want something new, I'd try a Squire.
    There are many things to take into consideration... neck size: slim or fat, body shape, weight. Just gotta find what feels good to YOU.
    As far as steering clear of any brand name... you'll get many different responses on here.

Oh how could I for get... you'll need a chorus pedal. You'll find many recommendations and threads already started in the Effects forum. My favorite:
    [​IMG]

6. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Thanks

7. you beat me to it.

would suggest a new sx like this one:

http://cgi.earthlink.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3768532011&rd=1

it has both a P and a J sound. These are better than Squires and as good as mexican Fenders(the new ones that cost 350-400), according to the TB members herein.

If you walk in a music store and start looking at most cheaper basses, especially those with active electronics, you will be dissapointed. I am quite familiar with that sound you seek.

You want a comfy passive bass with light guage strings set low so you can PICK with ease, since that is what that peter did.

If you can find an used Korg Bass Pandora that would help since it has everything you need sound processing wise, including chorus and amp modeling. You should be able to get one from 50-100 used. But the chorus pedal above will be better sound quality.

My recommendation: new essex or "SX" P or PJ bass, can be subsitutued for used mexican (MIM) Fender and a Korg Bass Panodra. This will be well under budget. And you can have the local guy string extra-light or light guage nickel roundwounds and set it low. You will need picks-the ones that say "heavy."

8. The SX is also a good bass. Here's the original site.
    I'd steer clear of eBay if your not sure of what your buying.

Also you failed to mention if you already have an amp/cabinet, etc...

I'm not familiar with the Korg Bass Panodra, but your tone will sound so much better thru a real amp either it be a combo, amp & cab, or power amp/pre amp/cab setup.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you forgot to mention the 8 foot strap ;)

10. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    cool!
    I agree with the cheap p/j recommendation, get some thump to the sound also.

12. 9 ft strap. yup. tough way to play, but it looks cool.

I have the Pandora. I used it with the effects loop in an ashdown combo. Worked pretty well with the setting "dance" emulates an ampeg 810 rig. (Don't tell me about sound quality. I have a vacuum tube amp in my car stereo.) Trust me, it sounds good through a little combo, which is what this person is likely to have. It does not sound like the earlier generation stuff.

13. Not gonna argue with you about the Pandora, but nothing beats the original sound of the original equipment.

Ok, I'm officially geeking out now:
    [​IMG]

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    does he not use a Small Clone Chorus?
    I have the Analogman Clone Chorus, sounds great for the Hooky stuff

15. how the hell did you make that? cool.

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  17. Well hopefully, the $ 300 budget will allow for the bass, chorus and hiwatt/marshall rig. It's going to be tight, especially with shipping.

I stand by my original reco. But man, you guys are quite the research gurus. Who would have known. Its not like p hook is that well known, when you really think about it.

18. Peter Hook (New Order) is who got me into playing bass.
    fortunatly I have alot of spare time when I work nights and are able to come across things like this: New Order online
    I'm picky about my equipment and have played many basses and amps. It would be pretty cool to have the exact setup of some of my favorite bassist, but I'd rather come up with my own.

enjoy:[​IMG]

19. i hear ya. the old bauhaus and love and rockets got me into bass.

20. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    What sort of bass is it he's playing in these photos? Looks cool.