Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new order/joy division/monaco bassist.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by edh, Apr 2, 2003.

1. edh

edh

Apr 2, 2003
    as a beginner, i kind of like peter hook's work. does anyone know how he get's that distinct sound that's prevalent in a lot of new order tracks? i found out that a distortion pedal helps for early joy division songs (i.e. transmission). any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. Well, for starters, he used a pick... :p

Beyond that, a lot of it was just recording techniques. It sounds like he was using a miked amp, especially on Unknown Pleasures, and I'm sure the engineer put his signal through a great deal of whatever processing was available in '79 (as was the case with the drums--phew!)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

When I was trying to "cop his licks" back in the 80s I used an Electro Harmonix "Electric Mistress" flanger - this was one of the first on the market, readily available...but I think his distinctive tone is really his "lead playing" - high up the neck, picked close to the bridge - I remember seeing him a few feet away at New Order's first "secret" gig.

4. Oh quit yer boasting (/me is more than a touch jealous). :spit: :cool:

Playing with a pick, with your bridge pickup solo-d and a chorus pedal is the way to go. You can get his sound out of most chorus pedals - he didn't use *that much* chorusing effect. I use a DOD FX-63 "Deep Freeze" chorus, and it gets the sound.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Generally what's been said here - though not always bridge pickup. In fact much of his playing in the 80s was on the Yamaha, and I think he stuck primarily with the neck (P) pickup on that. The twangier sounds are more likely the Shergold, where the pickup is closer to the bridge (about where a Stingray pickup is I think).

His live sound (and Joy Division recorded sound, I think) was generally a tube amp into 15s or 18s. I think with New Order he recorded direct sometimes though.

I got a pretty good tone like his out of the Bass POD when I had it.

6. Only a few days ago I read somewhere on the www that Peter Hook also uses a Fender VI (Baritone guitar, also used by Robert Smith, 'The Cure').

7. Yeah, I've seen pictures of him with it. The Bass VI is actually a true bass guitar--it's tuned the same as a standard double bass or bass guitar, but with an extra two strings up top in the guitar tuning relationship. It sounds pretty terrible, IMO, but some people get a kick out of it.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Really?

Are you sure? ;)

I've never seen him with a Fender Bass VI. He's got a short-scale (30" I think), Shergold Marathon 6-string bass guitar (EADGBE), that he's used quite a bit.

(I'm not saying you're mistaken (how could I think such a thing? :p ) or anything. . .)

9. Bruce Lindfield

I agree - when I've seen New Order live, he was playing a Shergold, as was Albrecht on Guitar - which produces his typical "lead" sound. More recently I've seen him on TV with the Eccleshall semi - but in the 80s he experimented with all sorts - like Rickenbacker, but I don't remember ever seeing him play a Fender.

10. That may have been the Shergold, then. I saw it in one of those episodes of "The History of Rock Music" on PBS, and for some reason the pickups and headstock just looked like a Bass VI.

Maybe I should add Brad Johnson's disclaimer to my sig... :meh:

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well that sounds like the Fender, the Shergold doesn't look much like one. :cool:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Here's the Shergold 6-string bass :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is what I've seen him using more recently :

[​IMG]

13. I thought *that* was a Gibson.... :oops:

14. here's a link to the Eccleshall page-
    http://www.eccleshallguitars.co.uk/335bass.html

in a Monaco TV appearance he was using a red Yamaha of some sort - I think it's in that "Hooked" pic on the left.

re. picking technique, he does sometimes also pick closer to the neck (the lead line on "true faith" sounds like this)- he picks over the neck p/up in the "academy" video on some songs eg. "ceremony".

[​IMG]

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You know, I've had the Academy video for something like 7 years now, and still never transferred it from PAL to NTSC so I could watch it. :rolleyes: Is it any good?

16. The Academy video is okay...I picked it up for £3 in a charity shop.
    I wouldn't recommend it at full price.

Peter Hook's tone grates after a while- muddy in the low mids.
    also he hits a few wrong notes in places.

visually it's pretty dull- the stage is dimly lit- then again, New Order aren't the most visual of bands....

it's directed by Mike Mansfield- famous in goth circles for directing the worst video The Cure have done- Charlotte Sometimes.

17. By the way, about two years ago New Order were the support band for...Robbie Williams!! Well, at least in Germany. Strange combination, eh?

18. Robert Smith: "...We wanted it to be really mysterious. When we saw it, we didn't know whether to laugh or cry."