1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new order/joy division/monaco bassist.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by edh, Apr 2, 2003.

1. edh

edh

Apr 2, 2003
    as a beginner, i kind of like peter hook's work. does anyone know how he get's that distinct sound that's prevalent in a lot of new order tracks? i found out that a distortion pedal helps for early joy division songs (i.e. transmission). any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. Well, for starters, he used a pick... :p

Beyond that, a lot of it was just recording techniques. It sounds like he was using a miked amp, especially on Unknown Pleasures, and I'm sure the engineer put his signal through a great deal of whatever processing was available in '79 (as was the case with the drums--phew!)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

When I was trying to "cop his licks" back in the 80s I used an Electro Harmonix "Electric Mistress" flanger - this was one of the first on the market, readily available...but I think his distinctive tone is really his "lead playing" - high up the neck, picked close to the bridge - I remember seeing him a few feet away at New Order's first "secret" gig.

4. Oh quit yer boasting (/me is more than a touch jealous). :spit: :cool:

Playing with a pick, with your bridge pickup solo-d and a chorus pedal is the way to go. You can get his sound out of most chorus pedals - he didn't use *that much* chorusing effect. I use a DOD FX-63 "Deep Freeze" chorus, and it gets the sound.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Generally what's been said here - though not always bridge pickup. In fact much of his playing in the 80s was on the Yamaha, and I think he stuck primarily with the neck (P) pickup on that. The twangier sounds are more likely the Shergold, where the pickup is closer to the bridge (about where a Stingray pickup is I think).

His live sound (and Joy Division recorded sound, I think) was generally a tube amp into 15s or 18s. I think with New Order he recorded direct sometimes though.

I got a pretty good tone like his out of the Bass POD when I had it.

6. Only a few days ago I read somewhere on the www that Peter Hook also uses a Fender VI (Baritone guitar, also used by Robert Smith, 'The Cure').

7. Yeah, I've seen pictures of him with it. The Bass VI is actually a true bass guitar--it's tuned the same as a standard double bass or bass guitar, but with an extra two strings up top in the guitar tuning relationship. It sounds pretty terrible, IMO, but some people get a kick out of it.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Really?

Are you sure? ;)

I've never seen him with a Fender Bass VI. He's got a short-scale (30" I think), Shergold Marathon 6-string bass guitar (EADGBE), that he's used quite a bit.

(I'm not saying you're mistaken (how could I think such a thing? :p ) or anything. . .)

9. Bruce Lindfield

I agree - when I've seen New Order live, he was playing a Shergold, as was Albrecht on Guitar - which produces his typical "lead" sound. More recently I've seen him on TV with the Eccleshall semi - but in the 80s he experimented with all sorts - like Rickenbacker, but I don't remember ever seeing him play a Fender.

10. That may have been the Shergold, then. I saw it in one of those episodes of "The History of Rock Music" on PBS, and for some reason the pickups and headstock just looked like a Bass VI.

Maybe I should add Brad Johnson's disclaimer to my sig... :meh:

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well that sounds like the Fender, the Shergold doesn't look much like one. :cool:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Here's the Shergold 6-string bass :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is what I've seen him using more recently :

[​IMG]

13. I thought *that* was a Gibson.... :oops:

14. here's a link to the Eccleshall page-
    http://www.eccleshallguitars.co.uk/335bass.html

in a Monaco TV appearance he was using a red Yamaha of some sort - I think it's in that "Hooked" pic on the left.

re. picking technique, he does sometimes also pick closer to the neck (the lead line on "true faith" sounds like this)- he picks over the neck p/up in the "academy" video on some songs eg. "ceremony".

[​IMG]

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You know, I've had the Academy video for something like 7 years now, and still never transferred it from PAL to NTSC so I could watch it. :rolleyes: Is it any good?

16. The Academy video is okay...I picked it up for £3 in a charity shop.
    I wouldn't recommend it at full price.

Peter Hook's tone grates after a while- muddy in the low mids.
    also he hits a few wrong notes in places.

visually it's pretty dull- the stage is dimly lit- then again, New Order aren't the most visual of bands....

it's directed by Mike Mansfield- famous in goth circles for directing the worst video The Cure have done- Charlotte Sometimes.

17. By the way, about two years ago New Order were the support band for...Robbie Williams!! Well, at least in Germany. Strange combination, eh?

18. Robert Smith: "...We wanted it to be really mysterious. When we saw it, we didn't know whether to laugh or cry."