Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Orleans area bass players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nocturnal, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I live about 45 min. outside of New Orleans and was just wondering where do you shop for basses? Is there a store there that caters to bassists more than other stores? I went into a store on Magazine st. the other day ( music exchange?) and they had some Modulus, a Smith, a couple of Lakland's and then just your typical stuff. Any other places worth checking out? Thanks, Andy

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    There is a thread already on New Orleans bass players. I can't find it,,,,, but it's there,,, i'm sure someone can help.

I don't live in NO,,, i'm more upstate, closer to Ruston and Monroe.

3. E.Z.

E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
    Hi, I live in Covington,La. About the same distance to N.O. as you. You could go to guitar center , on Clearview, C &M Music on Williams Blvd.(Metairie) or Sound Check Music also in Metairie.
    You could check all these places in a few hours. When you find what you like, get off the internet, you'll save a lot of money. Basses are like cars, the minute you take them home they lose 40% of their value. So generally you can get a really nice bass for about 40 - 50% off retail.
    Good luck!
    :bassist:

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm originally from Slidell, and man, it's TOUGH finding much in the way of interesting gear in Nawlins...but not as bad as when I was living in Baton Rouge! :p

Anyhow, I work at a little store in Orlando, we do a lot of mail order, and I'm always happy to help out a fellow Coon@$$, check the link below, feel free to call the shop or e-mail/PM me directly if there's anything I can do.

5. Nocturnal

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Yeah Gard, I know all about your "little store"! You've got quite the reputation on this board! I just checked your site a couple of days ago. Lot's of nice stuff to choose from. I was just curious about going in to try stuff out that I read about. Every time I go back home to Phx. I go to the Bass Place. Great store. Only all bass store I've been in. Thanks for the replys so far. Andy

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Ohhh...you're in "Picky-ya-nose", just up the road a bit from where I grew up...

;)

...amazing how a state line can change things, ain't it?

:D

How was the culture shock going from Pheonix to Picayune? Man, I don't think I could survive that one... :eek:

7. Nocturnal

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Man, that was tough! It was pretty hard going from a major city to a small town. I was used to being able to go do just about anything at anytime of day or night, but not here. The only thing thats open all night here is Wal-Mart or Wafflehouse and I hate those places. Oh well, it's not too far to the French Quarter:D

8. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    OK, down comes the firewall - emerging from the shadows for my monthly post!

Where y'at Polly and Gard. Welcome to TB, Tender Prey. E.Z. who dat behind that handle?

Gard, I hope you're doing well. Got my Sad 5 in January, and my MTD (back from Jimmy Foster after an 8 month re-finish). One of these days I'll get some pics and post some info.

Tender, there ain't no place to see basses around these parts (in stores). But there are quite a few players in the area with some cool stuff if you look around - Nolabass with his Laklands and Acme cabs, Lenny D. with his Alembic / gauss speaker rig, Stew McKenzie with his Conklin 8 str / Accugroove set-up, Mike Wibel with multiple Sadowskys, and here on the northshore I have a Sad 24F fiver and an MTD 535 and a bunch of Warmoth fivers (and a Ray 5 and an L2500) and Wayne Jones cabs and Demeter pre (and the list goes embarrassingly on and on), and Dave Lemoine (4 Unplugged) with his Carvin sixer and Peavey Bam.

Gantt

http://www.fliteband.com
    http://www.lafsonline.org

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    If any of you guys can make it to our Bass Summit in Mobile AL on Aug 23rd, you're more than welcome!

We should have quite an assortment of high-end basses to check out and possibly a few for sale or trade. Come on over!

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Gant! Hello man!!!! Tell your lovely wife I send my greetings. I'm ok, but things didn't work out as hoped for. I will survive though - onward & upward.

How's things in Covington? I am planning on a short visit up your way soon, hope to make a stop by.

How's 'bout a TB GTG in Covington sometime? Your place would be perfect, say in the fall when the weather gets really nice. I'd definitely make that a priority!!!

11. E.Z.

E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
    Hi, Gant, Gard et al.
    E.Z. are my initials. My given name is Esteban Zorrilla. My parents are Cuban. Everyone calls me Steve cuz that is the literal tanslation and they usually butcher the name.
    Anyway, it great to see all these northshore bassits coming out of the woodwork.
    It would be great to have a get together. Maybe I can learn something.
    Six month ago I decided to get a bass and make it a hobby. I've wanted to learn since I was a kid. Anyway, I hooked for life.
    Maybe one of you guys can give me some pointers.
    I would love to play in a blues-rock band in the future.

12. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    A note for folks who aren't from and haven't been to New Orleans: we don't all have goofy cajun accents (or affect them for a laugh) :D . Well, maybe they do on the North Shore. I don't know.

Anyways, if I have my 10-string (double-five) by August, I'll definitely do what I can to get to the Bass Summit. As it stands, I would feel a kind of stupid coming there with my not-high-end basses. :)

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    CJ, no need to feel that way. It's a real wide-cross section at these get-togethers. Beginners, owners, pro's, amateurs, something for everybody.
    You don't even have to bring any gear, although I'd love to see that 10! Hope it's done by then.
    Are you building it, or having it built?

We'd be thrilled to have you there. It's not just about the gear; there will be all kinds of stuff going on. Might even be some 'non-bassist' types there!
    You should come, maybe get a little NO convoy going...

14. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It's being built by TB's own Patrickj. I think it will be done by then (even though it hasn't been started!). I'd definitely like to come. I live pretty close to Stew McKensie (even though I've never met him) and BassTriAxis, even though he's moving to London pretty soon. Maybe we could carpool or something. We'll see. thanks for the invite :) Guitarists sure aren't as friendly as we...

15. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    OK Gard, how in the hell do you know Gant? I grew up in Mandeville and Mr. B was a local Player/Teacher. I know both of you guys but had no idea you guys knew each other. Too much.

I am a transplanted New Orlean's boy. Now I reside in VA doing the Army thang. Great thread and thanks for starting it.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I was wonderin' when you'd show up! Small world, ain't it?

;)

Gant and I have crossed paths a few times through my day gig: Bass Central. I noticed he was from the Northshore, mentioned my history in the area, and that most of most of my family is still there.

We began staying loosely in touch via TB, I was up that way at Christmas-time last year, and he invited me to come over for a visit. Had a great time hangin' with him, checking out each other's basses, and just shootin' the breeze about the universe in general. His house/property is amazing, beautiful place.

Hoping to make a pilgrimage back up that way sometime soon, and hopefully I'll get a chance to visit Gant again. Great guy, and the Mrs. is even cooler. :D

17. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I live in N.O. and I find ther service at music exchange to be better than others. If they don't have what you want, they will do their best to get it. The owner does his best to work with you on price also. Bought my ampeg portabass and B2R there.

18. hey everyone,

sorry I missed all the posting, but it's been a busy few weeks and I haven't hit TB too much!

to answer the original question, Music Exchange has probably the best service in the area, but the air conditioning's more happening at Guitar Center!

I don't know, based mostly on my gig schedule, if I can make the summit in Mobile, but it sounds like a blast. remind me about it a couple of weeks in advance and I'll have a better idea of what's happening!

if anyone wants to check out my gear, I'm gigging Monday the 12th and Wednesday the 21st at Check Point Charlie. no cover!

it would be great to see a NOLA bass summit of some sort and I would *definitely* be in attendance for THAT!!

:D

from the belated low end,

Stew

19. hey all,

I'm trying to organize some bass solo performances in the area. I'd like to perform, I think I can get Byron Santo, a friend of his, and maybe Trip Wamsley to come out. with any luck, I can snag Dave Anderson and his rockin' doubleneck, too! if you cas would be interested, contact me through this thread, via email, or PM me.

thanks in advance and I hope to hear some of you cats soon!

from the low end,

Stew