Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Orleans Bass Players?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by NOLABASS, Dec 8, 2002.

1. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Hey folks, I'm a newbie here, and was wondering if there are many/any New Orleans (or La.) bass players posting in TalkBass.

2. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Where y'at? I got your email yesterday. Thanks.
    I know a lot of players in the area 'cause I've been around for a while. Without exception when I mention TalkBass they've never heard of it. Many of the older guys don't have computers or are just intimidated by them. I've learned a lot on TB and made some good friends. I'm kinda in a a second childhood with bass though I've played professionally for a long time. I live on the northshore near Covington.
    So what's the scene like at Scrubs on Thursday night?

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Hey man,
    Demeter, Acme, and QSC must be smiling due to all the internet bass players that have purchased that rig! Scrubs (across from Ochsner Hospital on Jefferson Highway) is really one of the best blues jams in town. Not a lot of gui****s struting the yard, not a lot of over the top egos. Everybody gets to play, and everbody seems to get along. Way differant from most the other jams. (read Checkpoint Charlies) There are a lot of blues players, rather than jazz players wanting to play something different. Jazz players are cool, don't get me wrong, but if it's a blues jam, we should be playing blues. I've been here since '95, made some friends, and am just now starting to get the occational gig. Tuff town, you know?

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Former Northshore & BRLA checkin' in!

Heya Gantt, how's things in Covington??? :D

I may be back in Slide-hell for a few day the end of the month, 'round Christmas, if so, I'll let ya know, maybe we can have a beer somewhere!

NOLA - yeah, NOLA is a weird town. I was lucky and hooked up with a house gig in the Quarter for a year or so when I was living in BR. Bit of a commute, long nights (6 hrs, 5 nites a week! :eek: ), but the best training I ever got. Burned out too fast though, same room every night sounds nice at first (no moving equipment, no traveling to the gig, etc), but man, that room just SUCKED after the first 8-9 months! ;) Was at the 544 Club, if you're curious as to where, 98-99 if you wanna know when. Good to see another Lousy-ana-ian 'round!

Stay in touch!

5. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Nolabass, I'm gonna come to Scrub's with a drummer friend and check it out. Is it every Thursday night? We had a jam night every other Thursday at Melius in Bucktown for over a year - lookin' to get it going again. See you soon!

Gard, If you're a quarter rat you probably know Andree Dupepe. She was 17 the first time we gigged together - also sang with my tux-gig band around 98-99 for a year or so. Thankfully the last time I worked the quarter other than private gigs was in 1969 (were you born yet?) at the Inner Section on Decatur street. My last gig with my 60's tour band was 6 nights/6 hours at the Flying Dutchman in Charleston SC in June 1972. We just had a 30-year reunion (with the remaining living members :D ) last summer. By all means get in touch if you visit at Xmas time!

6. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Cool! ganttbos , Yea man, every Thursday night...9-12. Although I don't know what will happen the week of Christmas. I'll be playing a Lakland more than likely.

Gard, where Y'at! So, tell me, how can you be a moderator? I don't think I ever met anybody who lived in New Orleans that did anything in moderation. You must be a rehabilitated moderatie.;)

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    yea yeah,, but other parts of the state are awesome! representin northeast! in the city of farmerville!!! .......

Wow, my town sucks.

8. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Hey PollyBass, plenty of Soul to soak up in La. in general! Amazing how many astounding drummers there are. Seems even the piano players have great timing.
    You know how a Nashville drummer counts 7/8 time?
    1-2-3-4-5-6-se-ven

Ganttbos, theres also a real good blues jam the first Wed. of the month at Maple Leaf on Oak.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    NOLA -

Like my avatar sez - I'm in the Kingdom of the Rat, better known as Orlando, FL (home of Did-knee Whirled...mouse...rat....a rat's a big mouse, and trust me in this town, no mouse is bigger'n Mickey :p). I did my time as an unmoderated man when I was growin' up there - you don't live long like that though! ;)

Oh, and the Nashville drummer bit...classic! Gotta remember that one...1 2 3 4 5 6 sev en!!!! :D

Gantt -

Can't say as I know Andree, may have run into her, or heard her sing, but was never "properly introduced". My tendency was to show up at 8:45, play my 6 sets, sit and drink a glass of water between sets, and haul @$$ back to BRLA at 2:45 to snuggle up with the wife for a couple hours before she hadda go to work. Never was in on the "hang". Despite the wonderful musical education it was, I must say I do NOT miss working in the quarter! :p I was all of 6 years old in '69, but I was livin' in Kenner, so we were in the city at the same time! Don't look like I'm gonna make it there for Christmas, situation is in order (wife and I are on the outs, lookin' like a lonely Christmas) but the finances ain't. Guess I'll have to suck it up and spend the holiday at home alone.

Polly -

Farmerville!!! Wow....

;)

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    DAMN YOU ALL!!!:p

11. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans

I'd say "damn ya right back", but......Farmerville? What would be the point in damming the dammed? So...How is that Federal Protection Program working out for you?:D

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Dandy. I mean, ever since i saw bill jones look at me and say "CASEY HUGHES,,, YOUR NEXT" And ran like hell, I........... crap. Now i'll have to move to some crappy place,,, like flordia, and work for a bass shop that doesnt pay commision.:eek:

Just kidding Gard.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...I was told by a band I was in once that we had driven through Farmerville on the way to a gig in Ruston...

...but I blinked.

;)

(Back atcha, Polly..:p)

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Once again.... DAMN YOU ALL!:D

I forget you can pass thru farmerville to get to alot of places. Ruston was were i was rasied anyway,,,, maybe i should start lying and just tell people i live there.....:p

15. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    May you should start a Rustin thread, "any bass players in Rustin,"
    -Or maybe, "any bass player rustin in Farmerville?"
    -Oh, I know,"any rusty farmers use Charmin,"
    -but that gets into toiletry items, and that would go under "off topic" huh?

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What do I have to do to be considered a honorary N'awlins man?

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Hmm....

...good question...

1) Be able to play "Hey Pocky Way" with authority.
    2) Be able to understand the phrase "pinchin' tails & suckin' heads" without the sexual overtones that it would create in any other place. Also, you must be proficient at doing it! :D
    3) Be able to see the colors green, purple, & gold together and think it looks good.
    4) Be able to see an ocean-going freighter go by OVER YOUR HEAD and not be concerned by it.
    5) Be able to survive a night of bingeing on Jagermeister.
    6) Be able to pronounce Tchopitoulas, know where Thibodeaux is and how to pronounce it, be able to both eat and pronounce beignet (very good with coffee & chicory...another Nawlins taste treat).
    7) Be able to go to a Saints game and enjoy yourself - whether they're winning or losing!

Extra credit:

Know what the phrase K&B purple means.

18. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I am a New Orleans transplant from mississippi. Live near Childrens hospital, right down the road from Tipitinas!!!!
    Ever go to tips let me know.
    Kyley
    http://www.boydbasses.com

19. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Yea Gard, yea....you right!

Kboyd, I live on River Road down from Maple Leaf, used to have a WWOZ Tips pass, spent a lot of evenings their last year. (2001) Worked in a recording studio down the street "Say Yes Studios" Owned by a friend. Recorded Mark Adams solo, and engineered the Rad's latest. My friend did, not me. All I do is lift stuff.
    Holler at me in my email, and we'll hook up maybe.

20. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Sorry Gard -
    Tchoupitoulas with two U's - ya musta been eatin' too many alligator pears sittin' on the neutral ground wid ya mamanem when ya shoulda been studyin' ya spellin', Dawlin'.
    You guys are probably all too young to remember swimmin' naked in the Audubon Park lagoon while the tourists went by under the Troll Bridge in the Swan Boat. And what about Monkey Hill? That was back in the late 50's when I used to shoot rats with my pellet gun at the city dump across the levee behind where Children's Hospital now stands. There was a homeless guy about a hundred years old with a beard named MouMou who used to baptize us in the river. He lived in in the dump in a hut made out of stuff he salvaged (guess he wasn't really homeless). We used to bring him canned goods and give him the change we had in our pockets. I remember one Christmas morning riding our new bikes up to see MouMou. We brought him Christmas dinner - turkey with all the fixin's - he cried, and made us all cry.