1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Orleans bassists, I need your help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by derridiandrift, Oct 24, 2010.

1. If you live and gig in and around New Orleans I need your help.

Aside from playing music, I'm also a writer. I've been working on a novel for the past four years that is set in both Canada and New Orleans. The book is about a regular working musician.

Having played professionally in Canada for almost 30 years, I'm really knowledgeable about the kinds of gigs that can be had by everyday musicians. I need help with the details of the gigs that take place in New Orleans. Anyone who plays music can help me out. If you play tourist gigs in the Quarter, if you're in an original act of any genre, a full timer player, worship players, jobber, play part time in cover bands, anything. I need the whole picture because there are a variety of players who circulate around my main character.

Basically, if you live in or around New Orleans and play music, my book would benefit from your input.

You can rest assured that this is not a post-Katrina bandwagon book. There is a deep historical connection between French speaking Canadians and Louisiana. The story has been simmering in my head for fifteen years and it's finally coming together. My story is set in the present time and connects the two places through a family that has roots in both places. Obviously, the post-Katrina milieu does figure in the book, but it's not the centre-piece. This is nothing like the HBO series Treme.

You can pm me here or send an email to gerryschaefer@me.com