New Orleans musicians

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Steve Bassman, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Man, I was just in New Orleans two weeks ago with a fellow bass player and watching the news on TV just breaks my heart. We met and saw so many great musicians and some were even kind enough to let a couple of bass-playing tourists from Florida like us sit in. It was obvious that some of the musicians we met were not wealthy people and I can't help but wonder if they made it out of the city in time. Beyond that, many of them depended on New Orleans' wealth of live music to earn their living. Even if they made it out safely, their source of income has been literally washed away. I plan on donating to the Red Cross, but I wish I could do something to specifically help the disenfranchised musicians. Maybe the AFM local will set up a charitable fund. I also wish I could find out about some of the people I met. Maybe someone on this board lives in a nearby area and knows some of the same local musicians.

- Steve
  2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What is really amazing is the evacuation was only effective for those with cars. I'm calling my local red cross chapter in the morning to see what I can do other than monetary donation...
  3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Guys, I was thinking on the same lines about those musicians. I was in NO about 3 years ago and spent about an hour listening to some good ol Dixieland at Preservation Hall. Having played dixieland as a kid, that was kind of a fulfilled dream - to hear live trad. jazz in the French Quarter and at Preservation Hall no less. It was really uplifting for me to have been there.

I'm saddened to think about all those guys, most of whom are probably retired or old enough to retire and are probably still on struggle street anyway. Please let us know what you find out.
  4. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    ... listening to the sad news on the way to work this morning, brought back memories of the few days I spent down there some years ago. Bumped into old friend selling handmade jewells at the French Market when the tourists were there. He was doing construction work too, painting houses... should be alright. Steve is right, many musicians down there could have a hard time going thru this winter. :(
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Just saw a notice that Fats Domino is missing in N.O.
  6. billybass

Oct 14, 2003
    New Orleans
    I was in New Orleans until sunday morning. I play in the Louisiana Philharmonic. It looks like all the orchestra but one got out. Everyone is scattered around trying to keep in touch with through email. We are all looking for work where we are. I got to The Dallas/Ft. Worth area to stay with my brother. It looks like everything I own is under water but I will not know for sure for some time. I did get both of my basses with me so I can still hopefully work somewhere. The AFM is getting started to do what they can.
    As for the jazz musicians I am very concerned. Many of them do not have cars and are probably in bad shape. Several of the jazz bass players there I know were out of the state when this happened.

If I hear anything else I will post.

Bill Schetter
  7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Where did you see this?
  8. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Bill, I'm glad to hear that you and the other musicans in the orchestra (and your basses) made it to safety. It must be harrowing to not know the status of your friends and all the belongings you left behind. The jazz bassists I met in New Orleans include Carl Jackson who plays with Delfayo Marsalis, Sid Snow who along with his brother (Robbie?) was playing with the French Market All Stars, Richard Moten who was playing with Jamil Sharif at Maison Bourbon, a nice fellow named Doug who was playing with a trumpter named Steamboat Willie and a bassist named Leo who was playing with guitarist Warren Battiste at Turtle Bay. I met many other musicians in the French Quarter and Faurboug Marigny but those are the names I can recall.

As far Fats Domino being missing, here's an artcile about it here: link

- Steve

My web page
  9. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    I already donated money to the Red Cross, but I would more than gladly donate to a musician-specific fund.

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
  11. I just heard that the Chicago Jazz Festival is going to make a big effort for New Orleans musicians's relief. So if you're going to Chicago this weekend, give generously.
  12. One of my oldest friends, Bill Huntington, lives there; right in the city I think. Great jazz player/teacher. (DB and guitar) If any of you hear anything about him, i'd appreciate you posting something about his condition.

13. Fats is Cool!!
    Just heard, for the first time that they pulled Fats Domino out of his house. A still photo showed that he's lookin' good and healthy!!! :hyper:
  14. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Good news about Fats. As a tourist in NOLA I had the pleasure to hear and chat with Kermit Ruffins and Leroy Jones, trumpeteers. I was also very warmly served and talked to by Nina of the Palm Court café...
  15. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Do you think we might be able to organize some kind of grass roots New Orleans area musicians' refugee program, whereby those of us with the means to host some cats for a few months (or longer) can do so?

I saw on George Porter Jr.'s site that Russell Batiste was holed up in a Red Roof Inn in Little Rock. Being a travel agent, I located the number and called there to try and find him, and offer anything I, a plane ticket, a room in my house for a couple months...but he and his companion had already checked out as they found someplace to go.

Anyway...can we find a way to pool our resources so we can offer direct assistance to these great musicians? I'm willing to open up my wallet, my home, book flights for folks, try to help them find hotels, etc. etc. etc.

We all know, and in some cases are ourselves, MI dealers and distributors that might be willing to offer gear to those who aren't fortunate enough to have endorsement deals and have lost all or most of their gear.

Perhaps we can find "artist in residence" kinds of situations for musicians, or even entire bands.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit here as my emotions are just all over the place. I want to help. We all want to help.
  16. It's about 8:40 AM here in Denver....CBS is just getting ready to play an interview with Wynton. Interesting to see what he has to say.
  17. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    This was a BAD one and still is extremly dangerous in the aftermath. Imagine surviving the horrid mess only to be mugged or shot by some desperate person for what you may have escaped with from your home. If this were Washington, there would call out 100% of the available troups in a flash and write a blank check to handle the damages and recovery. It makes me sick to hear they passed a 'budget'.. How The F*** can they make a budget for something this bad.. It's done when it's done.. Pay the bill AFTER everything is handled. And, $6/ Gallon for Gas.. Shoot these people first for even charging a higher price when all they are trying to do is just stay alive..

Imagine a Cop in trouble, he asks you for help and you charge him $100. per bullet cause he is desperate... The Prez and the rest of the insensitive A-Holes in Government need to put themselves in their shoes for a day...
  18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Don't you think it might be better to focus our energies on trying to actually help these people, instead of posting links to articles speculating on who's to blame?

Maybe this link would be more useful
  19. Guys, don't be too hasty in blasting every official in site. A response to something of this magnitude cannot take place in a few hours or even days. I have been involved with a disaster relief organization since Hurricane Andrew in '92 (I am leaving for Long Beach, Mississippi tomorrow) and can tell you from experience that it takes 3-4 days to get oriented on a "small" disaster. The scope of this one boggles the mind. I have heard several folks talk about how we can help out with a tsunami on the far side of the world but what people seem to have forgotten is that even that took many days.

Right now the most important thing is to help. We can find fault later.