Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Orleans, what should I go see?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by seansbrew, Jun 1, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Hey fellas, I am going to New Orleans tomorrow, are there any recomendations as far as cool places to check out? I am definetly going to seek out some blues and jazz, but where?

2. DRAG SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Non-music related: D-day Museum and the aquarium. I just went there last summer, but I already forgot what else there was. :meh:

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Good advice from the non-locals up there, DEFINITELY catch George if he's in town. Check to see if TBer Stew is playin' anywhere, he's pretty amazing. The bands on Bourbon St. are all good....if you can deal with the over-priced hooch and 1-drink a set minimums. (I did the house band on Bourbon St. gigs for a while a few years back, it was like musical bootcamp - 6 sets a night, 5-6 nights a week, people calling out tunes you've never HEARD OF, much less heard...whee...you get good there, or you get gone.)

Non-musically....trust the 'cracker, the aquarium is da bomb, haven't hit the D-Day museum, but I've heard it's very good. The Audubon Zoo is actually excellent (used to SUCK when I was a kid, they really turned it around).

Do the Quarter in the day, hit the area around Jackson Square, the Cabildo, etc. Lots of good historical stuff there if you're into that. (The Quarter is actually MORE fun in the day, to me. The "tourist" thing is to go there after dark and get drunk...blah...).

Take one of the riverboat cruises, those can be interesting. You get a feel for just how BIG the Mississippi River really is (over a mile wide at NO, LA).

Food: One recommendation - Mike Anderson's on Bourbon St, about 3-4 blocks from Canal. Small, unassuming, REAL GOOD food. When I worked in the Quarter, the ex-wife and I ate there at least once or twice a month.

...if someone tries to guess what steet you got your shoes on, just walk away...

;)

...have fun!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hence the term "Fake it 'til you make it?"

7. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

HaHa, that happened to me and I finally gave in and yeah know he was right I was wrong, but I still refused to give up any change or money. The bum raised hell being really loud and I was bout to punch him in the mouth. Yeah I felt like a sucker but I didnt give him any money, I instead went and bought him a burger from McDonald's then he bitches about there being mustard on the burger. So I took the burger from him telling him I was going to replace it but instead i threw it in the trash right in front of him, needless to say he didn't like that very well, and I was fortunate there was a cop standing near us. Therefore "Do not feed the animals"

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Prepare to have your brain blown out by Zydeco music if you go within a mile of Bourbon St.

9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Tipitina's
    Jazz Preservation Hall
    The Old Absinthe

10. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    And if you're into Celtic style music, then definitely catch O'Flarity's (sp?) down by the old brewery. I don't remember the exact street (it's been too many years since I was last there), but it's just outside the quarter towards the river. Danny and Co. really have a great calibur of musicians that rotate through every night.

R

11. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks fellas, I will definetly check some of these places out, and by the way Galactic played yesterday, I would have loved to have seen them.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Eat. Eat everything in sight!

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Don't forget the Hurricanes.

"What day is it?"

"Oh - that's a Mint Julep - it must be Tuesday".

:D

14. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Oh definitely, I plan on doing allot of walking and eating. :) My wife is over there already and tells me that alcohol costs and arm and a leg, I think I will skip the indulgences this time around.

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Definitely hit a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's! The D-Day museum is very taxing on your emotions, but a great way to spend a few hours. The Aquarium is always fun, and you can leave from there to take a riverboat cruise down to the zoo. For just chilling, take a trolley tour through the Garden District. Nice homes! I've not had a chance to go, but I've always wanted to do the cemetary and voodoo tours from Jackson Square.
    Of course, I'm getting at this thread a day late, so if you got any of the suggestions, hope you enjoyed 'em!

*edit - just caught your post...I was distracted while writing mine. Pat O'Brien's is VERY reasonable for getting tanked or just hangin out with nice folks. Definitely our favorite place when we get a group to go.

16. Jacques-Imo's for grub! don't get much better than that!

mmm-mm!

:D

from the lows,

Stew

ps - thanks for the recommend, Gard. no gigs this week, but the studio is in quite a state for a visitor!
    :eek: