New Outkast (freakin' awesome video!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Sep 30, 2003.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Have you guys heard the new Outkast release? Although they are probably my favorite hiphop group I haven't heard it yet due to lack of funds but I just saw this new video for the song "Hey Ya." Awesome song and hilarious video. I've watched it 3 times. Check it out...especially if you hold stereotypes about what hip-hop groups should sound like (I guaranty you this won't fit).
    I guess you've probably seen it lots if you watch MTV or something but I don't have cable so I'm behind the curve I guess.

here's the link:

brad cook

ps - they also have a bassist (Preston Crump) who regularly plays on their albums and comes up with some very grooving, tasteful lines (such as in the song "Spottieottiedopaliscious")
  2. Yeah man, that video is crazy, I dig it tho. Is that a ric the bassist is playing, because if it is, I love the way they look now :D
  3. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Outkast has always put out dope Bass lines,thanks to the likes of Preston Crump,Debra Killings and Aaron Mills.

Funky and very tasty.
  4. I saw the one when they are like at some car shop with all the "hunnies" (just like every other rap/hip-hop video) and I dont like it.

Not a big fan out Outkast...
  5. Thats not the video they're talking about. In this video, there is a performance on a tv show by a fake band consisting of a bunch of Dre clones dressed in green. Its pretty cool.
  6. oh....that sucked too:)

Just my opinion:)
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love the names he gives all his clones - Possum Jenkins, Johnny Vulture (Yes ladies, he's still single), Dookie and of course Andre 3000 and Benjamin Andre. :)

Dre is brilliant IMO.

Even though you thought both sucked the chicks/auto shop video is indeed very typically rap. That's because it's a Big Boi song. He's the other half of Outkast and they are saying this new album is a double album but it's basically two solo albums. One by each of the 2 Outkast guys. Andre 3000's album is, from what I hear, much more creative and experimental...thus the non-rap songs such as "Hey Ya." Big Boi is more of the mainstream rhyming kinda guy.

Whatever you say about "Hey Ya" though you definitely cannot say that it's just like anything else out there.

brad cook

ps - I think I'm gonna go watch the video again now.
  8. Very cool video, simple but well-executed. Looks like a St. Paddy's Day deck of playing cards or something, but entertaining :p I like the Ric as well. I think the song itself is much better than the video though; it's SO catchy, and in a good way. So this isn't the typical "Outkast sound," right? I didn't think so, and that's a shame :(
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There was a thread penned by Rickbass about this tune...a week ago in the Recordings Forum(see "Track For Cover Bands").

10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

It is and it isn't. It isn't in that they don't have any other songs that are the exact same sound. It is in that there really isn't an "Oukast sound" because you never know what they are going to do and they have a lot of very different songs. They're incredibly creative. I've heard that the "Andre disc" has songs that range from funk to big band and that he actually flows very little on his disc. He even does a duet with Norah Jones. The other disc is more mainstream and less "progressive" with plenty of hip-hop.

brad cook
  11. I got owned:(
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, but I'm a haxorz so don't feel bad.

brad cook
  13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah love the video and the song. Andre 3000 is a talented dude IMO