1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New overdrive: Barber B-Custom Cool

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dannybuoy, Sep 16, 2008.

1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Anyone tried one of these on bass yet? I was thinking of getting a Barber LTD but having trouble deciding between the transparent sounding SR version or the fatter mid-humped v2 version. Someone on the Barber forums suggested the B-Custom Cool as a good pedal for bass, and it looks like it covers the ground of both the LTD pedals:

http://www.barberelectronics.com/customcool.html

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I was looking at this too, is it the same with the added dynamics and toggle?

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'm not sure, but I read that it can cover the light OD of the Barber LTD but has more gain on tap to take it into further overdrive than the LTD is capable of. Looks very interesting and one of the most tweakable ODs I've ever seen; as well as the toggle there is a push/pull tone switch and loads of internal trimpots to fiddle with. Hopefully someone round here is up for being a guinea pig... It would be me, but I've bought far too many pedals this month already!

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    looks badass! i'll have to try one out someday.... for now, i'm loving the LTD SR, and i'm waiting for the Angler to come. :)

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Ah, please can you do a clip of the LTD SR? I'd like to know how much gain is on tap, all I've heard is very low gain clips on guitar and it sounded very transparent. Your Supercollider clips made me buy that pedal, maybe you'll do it again!

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i will do what i can!

EDIT: may have to wait a little, sadly. i left my bag o' stuff at practice, and it has my cables and power supply in it.

7. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    the ltd sr is not a gain monster, it is a tone machine. perfect for adding a hairy edge to your bass. it's like a guitarist through a bassman, cranked with sweet breakup and singing sustain. not anything like you'd think of if the same guitarist played a jcm800 wide open. that being said, it's covers a ton of ground on bass. it actually sounds best under 70% with the drive knob (imho). it really adds a great boost into an rpm set for moderate gain.

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Any news on the Barber bass overdrive?

9. i've been interested in this pedal for a few months now, and i think i might finally get one.

10. also looking at the tone press, because i've been after a compressor for a while. not entirely sure of how well it works for bass though, any info would be great.