1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Owners for Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    TolerancEJ, tonym, DJ Bebop and 5 others like this.
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It won't change the inflated pricing, or the use of young and insufficiently dried/cured neck wood. I don't think this will change anything with Fender honestly.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    JMHO:

Sounds similar to Henry J's Gibson Lifestyle, going by the second paragraph.

Investors only want more mney coming in (profit) for least going out (expenditure), I don't see this making Fender a better company. Expect more garbage product, possibly, with a greater amount of inferior materials being used to make said product.

Edit: typo

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    With more coffee mugs and bar stools. They really need to get rid of the excess baggage. Their lessons program is terrible. Most of the new models they come up with are terrible, and they don't keep the good instruments in production, or use good materials. We went from the wonderful '57/'62 reissues to generic 50's/60's reissues that don't feel like the originals at all. The choice of Pau Ferro to replace rosewood on imported models was a terrible choice as well.

5. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    This announcement is like that letter you receive that tells you your mortgage has been sold. It bugs you, but you don’t really worry about it. :meh:

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I simply dont care

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

As long as this didn't saddle Fender with buy-out debt, it should allow the company to continue as it is, which is a real plus compared to the buyout/trash it/close it down model that's so common.

Tbone76, Malak the Mad, JIO and 2 others like this.
  8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    "Nothing will change" - sometimes that proves true, sometimes it doesn't. This could be a good thing, or it could be CBS all over again. Wait a year or two - we'll see if things go South or North.

BrentSimons, SJan3, Auspuff and 3 others like this.
  9. Skullie

Skullie Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

10. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    I wish more people would be that critical as it could improove production.
    At the moment I see many people buy fender just because of the decal.

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    That was a horrible idea. So many of their dealers offer lessons, and those lessons are critical to the cash flow, the walk-in business, exposing product to potential buyers, and enlarging the pool of customers. By Fender launching theirs, they went into direct competition with their dealers, something a manufacturer should never do.

12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I predict there will continue to be burst and tort P-basses. That's all that really matters, am I right?

13. In the future, burst is all that will be offered on all of their basses. :banghead:

BrentSimons, scottm and Jeff Scott like this.
  14. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Not a new relationship:

Servco’s relationship with Fender began in the 50s, when it became a dealer of its products. In 1985 it backed Bill Shultz in Fender’s buyout from CBS and, more recently, increased its stake by purchasing Weston Presidio’s shares in Fender. It was after this that it recruited TPG growth as an equal-stakes partner in ownership.

petrus61, geof_, GregC and 4 others like this.
  15. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Exactly. No way do I hear “Private Equity taking over”and thinking its good.

A PE firm is a bank. Their job is to make a company more profitable, plain and simple.

This could result in cheaper made instruments. Not saying it will, but it’s something to consider.

Glad I got my 2013 AVRI and have been set on Fenders for a while.

16. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed, and if they were going to do lessons, they could have at least made them quality lessons. They aren't. They seem totally made to take advantage of uneducated consumers. Take their money and teach them nothing of value.

philpm likes this.
  17. WE WANT CUSTOM COLOURS, WOOD SELECTION AND GOOD PICKUPS!!!

18. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

If all Fender current production suddenly ceased to exist and no new basses were manufactured from this day forward, there would still be a plethora of Fender basses for bass players of the world to choose from for generations to come in the used market. No worries here.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    It's like a houseboat not really a great house or a great boat.