1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new P Bass '62 pickups - what's the right string/pickup height?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by joplin, Sep 4, 2008.

1. joplin

joplin

Aug 31, 2008
    NYC
    I got some new P bass '62 pickups today for my MIM P Bass (2005) - installed them fairly easily.

But I do not know what the right height is to start from... I have a quality ruler that has millimeter measurements on one side and 1/64th inch on the other side. also, how should I measure the height - from the top of the black pickup cover or the magnets, or the pick guard?

And while i'm at it, I might as well ask what the appropriate height should be for the strings. and also where to take the measurement (front, middle or rear of pick guard?)?

I just started playing bass a while ago and would like to aim for something closer to a Jamerson sound - but my primary concern is just getting the strings and the pickups at a "customary" height. I do not like the strings set low - I don't like fret buzz at all.

thanks

2. joplin

joplin

Aug 31, 2008
    NYC
    Oops - just saw Hambone's sticky post. Answers therein. Thanks