New P Bass Body - Should I Go Active or Passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FugaziBomb, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Active

2. Passive

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    0706211754.jpg
    I'm finally getting around to replacing this Affinity body with a proper P Bass body from Warmoth. One thing I'm hung up on is if I want to get the output side routed to accommodate the added knobs on the pickguard and have a battery box installed for a preamp or not. I've already got 3 active basses with P pups and 2 other passive basses with P's too, so I've got plenty of variety in that regard

In favor of a preamp:

I really like to have a sweepable mid boost to find a sweet spot to hit my O/D with a little extra stank. I'm also hung up on the idea that active = better...

In favor of no preamp:

This thing is passive right now and I'm happy with it. I also worry that adding a bunch of knobs to the front of it will affect the aesthetics in a negative way. Also also, I can't find stacked white Jazz Bass knobs.

CallMeAl likes this.
  2. DukeOfBass

DukeOfBass

Apr 6, 2011
    If you like it now then keep it passive. On the other hand, you could always get a preamp with a passive switch. Can’t comment much on how a preamp would affect the looks knob-wise but you could try searching Ali Express for random stacked knobs. There’s a lot on there.

CallMeAl likes this.
  3. I voted passive, but I’ll vote passive 10 times out of 10, but especially for a P Bass - some of its beauty is in its simplicity IMO

Jefenator and CallMeAl like this.
  4. monti2889

monti2889

Jul 19, 2012
    Keep passive, pop an eq pedal in front of OD with mid hump.
    In theory (or I once read a comment somewheres), once you hit an effects pedal, you essentially create an active signal anyway...it's just not onboard the bass.

FugaziBomb and CallMeAl like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i voted "passive," too, but it's only because those pickups don't need active preamps to 'sound right' (especially on a p-bass), and you've already got some actives in your arsenal (mixing it up = good!). ;)

whatever you do: congrats on your p-bass body, and good luck with your ax! :thumbsup:

CallMeAl likes this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Look great !! Just keep it passive.

Since she has Dimarzio wild p pup, give it a set of lo rider SS a run.

FugaziBomb and CallMeAl like this.
  7. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    To me an active P is a bit of an oxymoron; the beauty is in the simplicity.

I’m not knocking active basses. But if it was active I’d go P/J or P/MM.

Also, do you run a pedal board? I’d be more inclined to put the preamp there than in the (P) bass.

my 2 pence!

ps that’s a really cool looking P bass!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    monti2889 and FugaziBomb like this.
  8. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Thanks! I decided to go with sonic blue for the new body, so I'm hoping it still looks as cool with the lighter blue. I do run a pedal board and have been thinking about adding a mid boost a la JHS Haunting Mids

CallMeAl likes this.
  9. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I swapped bodies on my ‘78 P specifically to undo all the extra routing the previous owner had done.
    I love having at least one axe that is just V/T. YMMV

FugaziBomb likes this.