New P-bass bridge replacement - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kijuer, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Hello everyone! First, apologies for my english. Then: In the last weeks I started noticing that my bass was losing intonation and I found out that the screws at the bridge (those that move the saddles back and forth) are not holding their position and they tend to unscrew. I can notice that intonation at the 5th fret (especially 4th and 5th string) ends up being higher than what it should be, 'cause the saddles move closer to the neck. Even if I fix it, it's a matter of few playing hours and they loosen again.
    Now, either I check intonation every time I pick my bass up, or I replace the bridge...I don't think replacing the screws will do.

So....any suggestion for a strong, stable bridge? My bass is a Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass (5 strings). Thanks!

2. What kind of condition are the springs in? Maybe they compressed and aren't doing their job.

craigie likes this.
  3. I had to really pull the 4th and 5th strings saddles way back than normal to set the intonation right. Springs look like this: 2018-04-23 00.36.16.jpg

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The bridge can be repaired. Use some blue Loctite on the threads and work the screw in and out until it starts squeaking. They won't back out after that. I don''t have a recommendation for a replacement, sorry.

Kijuer and Slater like this.
  5. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Kijuer likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021