Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New P Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Can anyone provide me with somewhere online i can order a maple p bass neck with block or pearl block inlays? 4 string, 20 fret. i have a maple neck on my p now, but i want to make it look a little nicer. Will it change the way my bass sounds at all though? thanks

2. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    allparts makes a nice block inlay neck,they are made in japan and are on e-bay for like 225.00,both maple w/black and r/wood w/pearloid,I was considering getting one for my HW1 but spent the money on a M.DIRNT p-bass which I'm glad I did cause it rocks! :bassist:

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
  4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    If you want your 'P' to flow with style, go get a 62 or 57 reissue neck from fender at their website, or order it throught GC if you have to. There wide, stable as hell, and sound more authentic than warmoth or all parts IMO.

5. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    From what I gather in your post, Pink Telephone, you want a neck with block inlays that is still P-width at the nut (1 5/8" or 1 3/4"). If this is true, you might want to know what people told me because I've spent a lot of time looking for a neck exactly like that for my own bass project.

Unfortunately, AllParts doesn't list necks like that on their online catalog and it doesn't look like you can custom order it from them. They do sell Jazz bass-width necks with blocks though. Here's their bass neck page.

If you want that specific combination of P width and black or pearl block inlays, then the Warmoth route is probably the way to go. BWBass, Talkbass' resident Warmoth employee, said it'd be $250 + $45 custom upcharge because they usually make the block inlay necks J-width (1.5"). This doesn't count in protective finish. I'm getting my price from this thread.

Maybe try B. Hefner at www.edenhaus.com too. Their website suggests they can do it. I don't know any forum people here who've used them though.

As far as USA Custom Guitars goes, Tommy Rosamond (the head guy) told me this past October doesn't have the equipment set up to do block inlays or neck binding on his own. You'd have to farm it out (or at least that's what they told me in October 2003 when I was shopping around for a project). If that's still true, you'd be ordering a maple P-neck from him and then sending it to another luthier for inlay work. Kind of a pain. Plus, you'd have to pay someone to get them to shave the headstock to pure Fender specs or do it yourself(if you're uptight about that kind of thing). That whole conversation was from last October though. Maybe things are different now. But from what I've read on the USACG forum threads though, it doesn't sound like anything has changed.

I can't tell you for sure whether the sound will change if you change the neck. Warmoth necks have steel rods and a double action truss rod which is different than what most Fender-style bass manufacturers use to reinforce the wood. That difference in material and greater amount of metal supposedly changes the sound quite a lot. USACG uses graphite rods and a traditional one-way trussrod, so I think the sound produced is supposed to be a "better" version of the kind coming from a USA Fender neck. AllParts necks are vintage reproductions, so I would imagine it'd sound more... "vintage." I respectfully defer to people like Hambone, Nino Brown or SMASH on that matter though.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    By the way, do you want to finish the neck yourself? Go to the Luthier's Corner forum and look for a post I started about "Neck Finish". I've started finishing the neck with Tru-Oil and so far, so good. I've got one or two coats to go.