Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New P-Bass Pictures!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey guys. I'm modding the hell outta my Squier P-bass. So far, it's amazing! I'll i've got to do my is drop some in new tuning heads and get the battery rear routed and i'm done! What do you all think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

-Mark

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

So far it looks great!

One question: Battery? What did you put in there? :eyebrow:

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

EMGs...

4. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Well, the EMG's are active, and, currently, i have the battery under the pickguard. When I bought the EMG's I was limited for time. I had a gig the day after. So I brought it to my construction teacher and he routed a place for the battery under the pickguard.
    I'm going back soon to have a battery compartment rear-routed.

Exactly like the back of this

-Mark

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
  6. Nicely done. I too really like the color combination. I have early (vintage) EMGs in my P bass. I bought the pickups in 1978 about two years after buying my bass. The EMG pickups that I have ROCK! I am sure you will like yours.

I need to get the battery routed in mine... I just haven't gotten around to it yet...LOL...:D

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had to do the under the P/G thing on mine too. I think I did it about 6 months or more ago, and I haven't had to change the battery yet. I also rigged up a switch so I can keep my bass plugged in, but turn off the pickups and save a ton of battery life.

8. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario

Was it hard to do that? I like that idea.
    I use monster cables too though.

-Mark

9. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Bump.
    I'd like some opinions.

-Mark

10. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Looks very nice. I notice you've stipped the "Squire" off the headstock - an improvement, but it looks a bit naked to me. And btw, I wouldn't bother with the battery compartment if you made room under the p/g.

11. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I just want some easier access to the compartment. Rather than taking off the pickguard blah blah blah. It's just easier IMO.

-Mark

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just put the switch inline with the ground disconnect that also hooks to the jack. This way, the bass can be plugged in, but turned off, or always off no matter where the switch is while unplugged.

13. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks great so far! Ever thought about maybe adding a preamp too since your routing out a place for a battery anyways?

14. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yep! but, i'm limited for cash haha. I'm getting a new job in about March. So I'll have it soon!

-Mark

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  16. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
  17. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    sweet!...I had a MIM P-bass just like that!...Black, tort, EMGS (which sounded great...)

I agree that if you are gonna route the back, make room for a pre-amp now.....you may use it later......I also agree that it's not that big a deal to take the pguard off 2x a year...!

rock on

18. Awsome so far. I agree with most of whats been said so far. A preamp would be awsome for it, to go with the EMGs. I also completely understand the money situation, so do what you can when you can :ninja: Also, and its just my two cents here, but I think the headstock would look good with a nice matching coat of black. Maybe a cool inlay put down before the clear coat. And again I understand about the money, so if you don't want to do that its cool. Just my two cents...

19. my p-bass that I put together myself from parts, has EMG's...it's had them from day dot.

I just slip the battery in the control cavity under the pickguard(fits in mine just fine without modification...I only have to remove a few screws to get at it...and I don't have to change batteries that often...so it really is no problem.

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Great work. :cool: My fretless P-Bass has an EMG and I really like it's sound.

My main P-Bass is black with a black pickguard. After seeing the pics of yours I'm going to buy a tortoise shell pickguard for mine!