New P bass sounding distorted

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brushfirewolf, Nov 12, 2016.

1. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Currently playing a new 2016 American Standard P through a cheap $100 ampeg practice amp. I'm guessing the obvious answer is that it's the amp and not the bass but when I plug a $180 Squire jazz into it, the sound is nice and clean.

It's a slight distortion and is more pronounced when playing high up on the neck especially vibrato. Very annoying and unfortunately I don't have any other way to test the bass at the moment so any advice is appreciated.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I would just think the new bass is pushing the amp too hard. Turn down the mids on the amp and see if gets any more tolerable. If you have a gain knob, try lowering that as well. You can always try lowering your pickups to reduce the output of the bass.

J0hn likes this.
  3. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I don't have a gain knob but killing the mid completely is noticeable, not much other than that. You are probably right about it pushing the amp too hard. I'll just have to deal with it until I get my new amp. Thanks.

4. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Your pickups might be too high. Try lowering them.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    try it in a good amp.

6. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Your average P Bass has way more output than a J Bass. That's all it is. There's nothing wrong with your bass. Distortion can't be caused in a P Bass with a passive pickup and passive tone circuit. It's all your amp. I mean, come on, $1200 bass through a $100 amp? What do you expect?

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021