1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New PA Setup

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Moreau, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Moreau

Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    Canada
    Hello,
    We are looking to put together a PA around an Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire that we are going to use to record off the board, and we are looking for a power amp and speakers. Our intention is to mic the vocals, drums and maybe some guitar and bass as well. Is a 2X15 speaker set what we should look for, or is 1X15 sufficient for Rehearsals and small gigs? We are looking at the Peavey PV215 speakers which are about $300 each. Our budget is about $900, and the mixer is already bought.

I have tried to search this but its hard as PA is not 3 letters long. Any advice on how we can build a nice PA off this mixer would be great. Thanks :bassist:

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    My old band used to have a couple of JBL mains with 2x15" speakers plus horn. They took up pretty much space during transport, they were not the easiest ones to carry, and mostly a smaller setup would have been enough. We also had four 15" and two 18" subs (we never brought all of them to a gig though). All speakers were passive, so we had a couple of mackie power amps with built-in high/low pass filters to feed the speakers. They were really good.

If I would buy a PA today, I'd go for an active system with 1x15" + horn main speakers (300-500 W each) and two 15" subs (500-1000 W each). You might get away with less money if you go for a passive system though. I would not recommend to go for only mains without subs, you do need the extra bottom they provide. That's what brings the chicks to the dancefloor... ;)