1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New pa sub for band? Or new guitar?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by zaviere, Apr 1, 2013.

1. zaviere

zaviere

Apr 20, 2012
    So I'm at a crossroads so to speak. Our bands singer/rhythm guitar is moving soon. So that leaves two spots needing to be filled. We have a few singers lined up. I said I'd be ok with going back to guitar. Primarily guitar player btw. Love playing bass but started out on guitar

Anyways. Been saving gig money for gear.

On one hand, I'd like to add a sub to our pa. So we can have everything into the pa and a fuller sound. But I already own one of the main speakers, one monitor speaker, the mixer, cables are mine, stands. You get the picture

Now that I'm switching over to guitar, I'm interested in a certain one with humbuckers since I don't have one atm.

Both items cost about the same.

What would you guys do?

I talked to the other guys about maybe them splitting the cost of the sub but I got "yeah, not right now uhhhh but I'm sure later down the road..... That shouldn't be a problem". Which is the same response i got when I said we'd really benefit from an additional monitor speaker. That was about a year ago. And we still only have mine.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Find both used and buy them cheaper than new??

3. 45acp

45acp

Feb 5, 2013
    Texarkana TX
    9 times out of 10 I will say get a sub. Once you start using one regularly you will never want to go without.

However, for all I know you guys are a Megadeth tribute band and you will be strapped with a telecaster. In that case I would say get the guitar with humbuckers. :p

4. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    A sub could make the whole band sound better. A different guitar probably not.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    My first inclination is that yeah, definitely the sub is the way to go.

There's another issue though which is that it appears that you (the OP) are fronting most if not all of the band's P.A. with no contribution from any of the other members. If that's the case I would be encouraging you to be taking some money off the top (in addition to your equal cut) to recoup your investment in the new sub as well as paying for the P.A.'s upkeep, storage and transportation (which I assume you are also furnishing). The rest of the band clearly has no interest in fronting any expenses toward shared gear, but that doesn't mean it should all be coming out of your pocket either. It sounds like you are the only one who really cares what the band sounds like but the fact is that the entire band benefits from a good P.A. (or suffers from lack of same).

IMO and IME there are only two ways to equitably address the "band P.A." issue. Either everyone in the band chips in for a P.A. from the get-go, or one member assumes the burden for the entire P.A. (purchase and upkeep)... but is then compensated going forward from the band's earnings. The rule of thumb in bands I've been involved with is that the P.A. owner gets either a flat fee per show off the top (just as if you had hired it out), or a percentage up to (but no more than) one additional cut. Each of these approaches has its advantages and potential landmines but at least in both of those scenarios the burden of the P.A. is being spread out across the band and not just absorbed by one member.

6. zaviere

zaviere

Apr 20, 2012
    Yeah I'm not sure I see that working too well. But it really does feel like I'm the only one that wants the band to sound as best it can. I want the whole shebang. Lights, sub, fog. I bring it up and they're basically "yeah that'd be really cool"

7. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Well if you own it then it will help you get the job with your next band. Hopefully they will take it as serious as you.

8. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I vote guitar.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Your call. I need subs. I have enough guitars, basses, keyboards, etc.

I do need subs, and an amp.

So if it were me, I would get the subs.

But you're not me.

Get what you want.

10. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Going from the attitude of your band, it doesn't make sense to dump money into band gear. So go ahead and get the guitar then.

11. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I'd float the idea that you restructure whilst you are in the restaffing mode. You buy out the rest of the PA gear, becoming the "PA owner" and set up the new gig money division with some percentage up to 1 share off the top. It's your baby, you add to, maintain, repair and everything else. It looks like you are most of the way there, anyway.

Just curious, who does booking and the other legwork? Are you comfortable running the show? Herding cats? If you are already that guy, taking on the PA makes sense. You get some help with schlepping it, but you do all the connections, saving time and confusion.

If that idea doesn't fly, I'd be done buying anything the gives off even the faintest whiff of "band owned gear".

I've never been a fan of band funds. It usually ends badly.

If this band doesn't rise from the ashes, and pulling in a bassist and a singer can be like drawing a inside straight, you own a PA. And play bass and guitar.

If the new deal works out and you guys get right back to work, you'll have money for subs, monitor, and a new guitar.

Maybe you'll get lucky and land a lead singer bassist who owns a PA and does booking and has a long list of good gigs....wait, that guy already has a band.