Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New parts for my p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snarf, May 13, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    So, the white pickguard and white knobs on my Fender sunburst p-bass are beginning to be a bit of an eyesore. So I'm going to get a black pickguard and chrome knobs. My questions are:

1. Should I go for aftermarket or genuine Fender parts? I've had bad experiences with pickguards before, so I want to minimize the risk.

2. Press-on or split-shaft knobs?

3. This is a little harder and separate from my p-bass questions, what is the resistence of stock Fender pots? Eventually I'm going to replace the pots on my jazz bass with new ones, since the stock pots feel loose and flimsy to me. Any input on this?

Thanks all.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    1. & 3. Generally 250k, sometimes 500k. I've bought aftermarket pickguards, pots and wiring kits from www.guitarpartsresource.com before, and been quite satisfied.

3. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have a MIM Jazz that I'm replacing all the electronics, pickguard, control plate, knobs, bridge, adding straplocks, and eventually the tuners, though that may not be for a little while- I already replaced the pickups (yes I could just build a new bass, but I'm saving money by not buying the body and neck).

Anyway, I ordered everything from basspartsresource.com (except for Bart pickups from bestbassgear.com). They have the lowest prices I've seen, and I'll let you know how it turns out late next week or early the following week after I've installed everything.