1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New passive pickup for P-bass? Should I?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Will a replacement pickup for my MIM P really be worth the $60-$80 they cost? I am a little skeptical because I have replaced pickups in the past (on different instruments) and found that the tone improvement was negligiable and not worth the money.

I do not have the opportunity where I live to try a few out, but I have read many reviews and people seem to really like the Basslines Quarter-pounder for P-bass. Any other suggestions? I do not want actives as I do not like the sound and don't want to mess around with batteries. Let me know what you think. Thanks

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
  3. Do you dislike the pups in your bass?

4. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    I play mostly blues and Funk and switched the standard MiM-P pickups to a set of Seymour Duncan SPB-3 quarter pounders. Sound 100x fuller and has more funk to it.

Highly recommended.

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have the 8.7 in my Franken-P and it sounds like a million bucks.

7. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I'm still your bassgear doppledanger!

I bought an 8.7 and a 10 as I could not decide. THey should be coming shortly. What do you think the comparison would be? What do the numbers even mean? Is 10k louder than 8.7k or are those just different frequencies. Can I run either of these through an ob preamp? Thanks!

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

I think it means impedence,

but i have no idea what that actually is, so....

9. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004

Actually it's not impedance, it's the DC (direct current) resistance of the pickup coil as measured with a ohm meter.

DC resistance does give you an indication of impedance, but that's a different measurement, and has to do with AC resistance, which changes with frequency.

But generally speaking, the higher the DC resistance, the more wire wound on the pickup, and that usually means it's louder, and probably has more mids and lows, and less highs than a pickup with a lower DC resistance.