Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Paul Bryant Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by LOBass, Jun 30, 2005.

1. I recently bought a new Paul Bryant bass from Steve Koscica of the String Emporium. Photos of my bass can be seen at:
    http://www.tom-ruttan.magix.net Follow the menu on the left panel TomR Bass Photos --> Paul Bryant.

This is a copy of a of a Matteo Gofriller early Italian bass, with English poplar back, maple sides and Sitka spruce top. Due to the poplar back and the large body and deep bouts of the Gofriller style, it has a very warm, dark tone. I also recently had some set-up work done at Hammond Ashely in Seattle. Dave, the luthier at HA, did a great job with some finger board work, bridge fitting, sound post optimization and some other minor adjustment that significantly improved the playability and sound over and above the high quality of the basic instrument.

I plan to use it mostly as an orchestral bass, so I put on a set of Pirastro Original Flexocors. I am quite pleased with the even, clear, warm arco sound that this bass and setup produces. I have been suprised how good the Bryant sounds in acoustic jazz settlings un-amplified, and with a Fishman Full Circle pickup installed, it has a good quality amplified sound.

Thanks for letting me share my new baby with you!
    Tom

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The pix were a little dark, but congrats on the new weapon!

3. Congrats Tom!
    A friend of mine has a P.B. of that same pattern...Bryant does real nice work and, as I remember, the price was right too. His bass is a bit lighter in color and has the separate Baker machines rather than the plates like yours.
    But, yes, the tone on these particular Bryant basses is very dark...even pizz wise.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Oooh you should put that up on John Spraque's bass prOn gallery.

5. Thanks, Paul. Bryant does good work and these basses are a good value for the price. As with many new basses, it benefits from a good setup from a quality luthier, and that's why I had Hammond Ashley do the setup. It kind of like doing the final finishing work on the bass.

I originally had a Realist pickup on the bass, but since the instrument is pretty dark sounding and the Realist is also dark, it was a bit too much and kind of muddy. The Full Circle pickup is a bit brighter and the overall pizzicato sound works well. I think the Full Circle does a pretty good job of producing an accurate acoustic bass sound.
    Tom