New PBD! Splitting signals and blending... Twin City, TC and Mackie

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rtav, Apr 28, 2018.

1. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Hey TBers!

Here's my pedalboard, which consists of a Korg Pitchblack tuner, a Radial Engineering Twin City Bones splitter, a Mackie 402VLZ4 analog mixer, a TC Nova System (with a G Switch that I can easily remove from the pedalboard and place a few feet away if I want), and a Furman SPB-8C pedalboard. Everything fits beneath the lid of the Furman nicely.

I made a cable concealer/mounting shelf/riser from 2 3U server blanks, 4 1.5" screws and 4 1" nylon spacers, all velcro'd down to the Furman SPB-8C. The Nova System and Mackie are the only 2 things attached to my riser shelf, and they fit perfectly. This elevates them both about an inch off the board, making them easier to route cables and reach. I run extra cables from the setup in the 1" space, or, loosen the four screws and completely remove the Nova System and mixer blank without pulling any velcro, in case I want to modify the Nova or mixer settings without having to stoop down on the floor lol. You can see a bit of the shelf/riser in the pics.

Basically the Twin City splits the bass signal into an unaffected signal ("A" channel) and an affected signal ("B" channel). The unaffected pure bass signal goes from my bass into the tuner, then out channel "A" on the splitter into the mixer's mono channel 3, which has only volume control, so I can mix my affected and unaffected signals on the mixer.

The affected signal, channel "B" on the splitter (I had to flip the phase on the Twin City to get back the deep stuff, but it works perfectly), goes into my TC Electronics Nova System for the effects (choruses, flangers, phasers, whammy, detunes, delays, boost, reverbs, eqs, gates, octavizers, pitch mods, overdrivers, etc.) The signal is stereo out from the Nova System to the mixer's channels 1 and 2, where they are affected with a little gain, bass and treble. The signals are then blended together as a mono signal on the board, and finally combined with the unaffected raw signal, with all three channels blended and sent out dual mono to the Furman and finally the amps or Scarlett 2i2.

This way I can manage all of the tone and levels on the mixer, input and output and blend of the three signals, not on the amps. Moreover, my amps take a mono signal from the pedalboard because one amp handles the high end, the other the low end - so they both get the full signal.

It sounds AMAZING. Clear, articulate, and powerful deep. Keeping the bass signal and the affected signal makes for some amazing tone, the flexibility of mixing and blending them all on the input and the output is incredible, and the cost was really inexpensive. A Nova System can be had with G Switch for $200 the Twin City was about $70 on another site and the Mackie mixer was $70 as well. A few cables and BAM! The optional Furman SPB-8C was about $150.

I mean BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Stumbo likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Cool setup!

rtav likes this.
  3. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Here’s a new video I made yesterday through the pedalboard. It’s my Dream Theater cover of “Metropolis Part 1” - all the fun stuff.

I’m loving this pedalboard!!!!