Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New PBS Blues Series ( Not Burns)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just read in the Sept 2003 issue of Conde Nast Traveler magazine that PBS will have a new six-part blues series to run from Septemeber 28 until October 4. This is not Ken Burns, but six different directors, each of whom makes a film about blues musicians from the 1920s and 1930s. One of these is Blind Willie Johnson.

Two Cds reccomended to help your enjoyment of this series is Skip James 'Hardtime Killing Floor Blues" and and J.B. Lenoir's "The Parrot Sessions."

I don't have either of these CDs in my blues collection, though I have a box set that has a some of their music.

Any blues fans here might want to check out the PBS series and maybe give a lsien to the CDs above or CDs of Blind Willie Johnson.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    This ones Martin Scorsese's baby...should be great!!!.....plus he doesn't leave out the last 40 years of blues like Ken Burns did with his Jazz "documentry";)

3. Boplicity

I'm a huge fan of Martin Scorsese. Knowing he is involved makes me even more psyched to see this blues series.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I have been waiting for this for ages - hope that it gets shown over here! (Fingers crossed).

Jerry - one of the episodes follows Chuck D and Marshall Chess organising a reunion gig of the band that played on Muddy Waters' 'Electric Mud'. The episode ends with a performance by the band, which includes a certain Peter Cosey on guitar.;)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I saw a CD in the store the other day that was called something like "Martin Scorsese's 'Blues'" Is this the soundtrack or just a coincidental blues collection picked out by Scorsese?

brad cook

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The single C.D. is just a sampler of a larger collection that hasn't been released yet. Man! Pete Cosey......now that's what I'm talking about!
    The whole spectrum of blues.....not just the first forty years like Wynton's...oops I mean Ken Burn's jazz Documentry;)

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jerry,
    Have you been watching the series? I've been following discussion on it over at Jazzcorner - opinion is divided to say the least!

More specifically, did you catch the 'Fathers and Sons' episode (w/Electic Mud band) that was shown a couple of nights ago?

8. Boplicity

I'm hoping they run the entire series again. I have been tied up the last three nights and missed those segments which is a big disappointment for me.

I don't know if I want to shell out big bucks for the DVD of the series or even the CD because I already have so much of that music on one Cd or another. I don't want to buy the book either because I have already read much of the history of blues in other sources.

I have really enjoyed the three shows of the series I have seen so far. I hope it was a big success and does not attract as much criticism as Ken Burns' jazz series attracted. The critic in my local newspaper did say he felt the quality of the shows was uneven from show to show and singled out Clint Eastwood's show about blues pianists as having been done in an especially "lazy" manner.

9. I appeared in the "Brown and Blue" segment with Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry.

I and my husband recorded Brownies Last 2 albums before he passed away in 1996. :bawl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Treena

10. Boplicity

Dang! Now I REALLY hope there are reruns. I did see the segment in which you appeared, Treena, but unfortunately didn't know you were in it, so I didn't realize it, naturally. Anyway, what a thrill to see footage of these two great bluesmen and, of course, all the others as well.

Are the estates or heirs of the bluesmen and women in the series going to benefit financially in any way from this series or is it just one more case of others making money off their great legacy? I ask this, but, of course, realize you may not know. I thought maybe you might have an inside line on the details being as you appear in the one segment or maybe it was a case of your just happening to have been there when the clip was filmed.

It must be wonderful to share a part of history like that and to have personally have know these great bluesmen.