New Pdbass Video

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by pdbass, Nov 30, 2021.

1. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Not sure of where this should go, but I had a good time putting this together.

For risk of spamming the board, I will try to post new videos under this topic instead of starting new threads each time (sorry). This one was too fun not to want to share.

2. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Companion piece to the video above. Jazz musicians are amazing and hilarious cats :D

J_Bass, Bar Star and geoffbassist like this.
  3. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
  4. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    A Perfect Bass Line (With Only TWO Notes)

5. Thanks for your work!

pdbass and Joshua like this.
  6. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Hi @pdbass, great videos, I really like your channel, I think you have a great approach to the DB.

In case anyone wants to check it out, it's well worth it:

https://youtube.com/c/pdbass

pdbass likes this.
  7. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you for watching!!

8. bassfiddlesteve

bassfiddlesteve Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Great job as usual @pdbass . I've always loved that tune. The blues lick at the end feels like a reward when you get to it. Anytime you analyze PC's playing it's a lesson unto itself.

- Steve

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  9. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    “The blues lick at the end feels like a reward”

THIS ⬆️⬆️⬆️

bassfiddlesteve likes this.
  10. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Confessional: I have always loved this bass line and it was stuck in my head for the past week. This was my only way to get it out. LOL.

11. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Ron Carter was the first real "Jazz" bassist that amazed me as a teenager. I've been chasing the dragon ever since then. Enjoy this analysis of his brilliant walking over an F blues.

12. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Great Stuff PD. I enjoy your YouTube videos as well. Didn't hear you mention "Lay Out" which I'm sure you know as "don't play", as in having the piano player lay out on the bridge (ie, during a sax solo). Same thing as "stroll" to me. (DC/ Baltimore area)

pdbass likes this.
  13. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Good one! Yeah--I actually found out that "strolling" has a couple different meanings depending on region--including "lay out". This would be a great book if someone has time to write/research/publish it!

jsf729 likes this.
  14. Loving the videos.

pdbass likes this.
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I remember the first time somebody told me to “stroll” in the middle of the tune. I was still playing piano at the time and I was very confused.

lurk and jsf729 like this.
  16. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh

marcox likes this.
  17. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    Yeah, stroll seems to have disappeared. I first heard it from a great Detroit area trumpet player named Louis Smith who liked a piano-less quartet I was leading. He said "Sometimes is nice to just stroll." I thought he was somehow complimenting my walking lines! At jam sessions these days if I ask, say, a guitarist to stroll during my bass solo, I get a blank look.

pdbass and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  18. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Straight-up JAZZ BASS GEEKERY this week:

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022