New Peavey 2x10 Combo (Oh, no!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jwoertz, Mar 16, 2001.

1. jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000
    I feel sick. I just bought a Roland DB-700 bass combo. I love it, but (as usual) now I just saw what looks to be the ULTIMATE bass combo from Peavey.

The model number is BAM-210. It's got a slant cabinet with 2 tens and a horn, built-in amp modeling, effects, etc.....

Check out for more info.

I wish I would have waited! Anybody wanna buy a Roland DB-700 for $700.00 ?

2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Peavey? Bah. "The Ultimate Bass Combo" awards goes to the 2x10" EBS Gorm.
  3. Peavey, BAH, indeed.... SWR super Redhead is the best combo I've ever heard...'course it's probably 3X as much as a Peavey.... Never tried EBS, I'd like to try a Fafner though. I was at their website and it all sounds impressive. Some of the claims they're making about power and something called an "accelerated power amp" sound kinda funny to me, though. I'd like to see a schematic of an "accelerated power amp"...... hmmm
  4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    How much would one of those Peavey combo's go for?
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The thing is not even shipping yet according to the website.

It weighs 90lbs! Also, its 500w at 2 ohms. If it is any more than $600 then I say get the Carvin redeye 210 instead. It's 10lbs lighter, more power and because it's not a new amp Carvin has the bugs worked out already.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Only problem with the Carvin vs. Peavey is that the Carvin has no low end compared to the Peavey stuff (I'm basing this on the Peavey 210txf vs. ANY Carvin cabinet, including their 18" ones, I'm guessing that this BAM 210 will have similar characteristics).

Oh, and the Peavey stuff is much more reliable, all the guys I know that use Carvin amps have had trouble with them, many have had to spend time back at the factory. All the guys I know (including myself) that are using Peavey stuff are having no problems at all (I use a T-Max head and two 210txf's, the head has been in heavy use for 6 years now, and hasn't even sniffled one time), and if we did, there are Peavey repair centers in almost any city, as opposed to having to ship your rig back to CA for warranty repair.

I'll take my Peavey rig over the SWR SuperRedhead too, ugh, what a nazzy sounding critter, no warmth at all. I've never got that SWR sound, funny spike in the upper mids, won't go away. :p If I'm getting an expensive bass combo, it would be the Eden Metro, much better amp.
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA

I don't agree, though I haven't tried your amps and don't know your experiences... My Cyclops gives me all the boom I need. Ask my wife. :)

I wouldn't say that Peavey is more reliable ... I think that it is reliable, but Carvins are also. certainly every brand has their bad apples. I do agree that Peaveys will have more local repair shops. But if you are talking about out of warranty repair, then it doesn't matter... anyone will fix your peavey or carvin... for a price.

I don't know SWR and I have never owned Eden either, but I gaurantee you that the Redeye Combo gives you your money worth and then some. You don't have to take my word for it... There are loads of people here that use the redeye and cyclops here. Also, check the mags and just try to find a bad review of them. I couldn't. I like Peavey a lot, but unless this 2x10 is selling for less than $600, I wouldn't get it.

8. I gotta disagree here. :D The Metro is not a very nice amp at all. Certainly not on a par with the rest of the Eden stuff or the Redhead. It sounds ok if you've got it on one in your bedroom, but every one I've tried, the speakers bottom out if you turn it up at all. It's really disturbing to hear the speakers farting like that on a very expensive amp at moderate volumes. I went through the whole line of Peavey stuff and though I'm not a big fan of the sound, it's real good bang for the buck and indestructible to boot. I owned pretty much every bass amp Peavey made between 1985 and 1994, and never had a problem. I also owned a full Peavey PA and never had a problem. That's pretty damn good reliability if you ask me. :D
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Spacegoat, I have an Eden Metro and I have never had a problem with the 2 10s bottoming out or farting.

I play a 5 string, and it handles the low B much better than my SWR Basic Black 15 combo does.
  10. Hmm, that's interesting. I've tried three different ones and they've all done that. That's what I based my observations on. Maybe I'm cursed when it comes to Eden Metros.....:D Maybe they've changed something along the way. I tried them about 2-3 years ago. I actually A-B'd a metro and a WT 300 + 210 XLT side by side and there was an incredible difference. I remember thinking that it was strange. Weird.
  11. Yeah, I was poking around the peavey site and that am caught my attention too. I would rather have it without the amp modelling, and maybe with more EQ or something else useful, but it did kind of spark my interest.

Wonder what the price point will be, and how much more that will be in Canadian dollars.

I just love 2x10 combos, but really can't find much in my price range with the features I want.

12. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    I checked the Peavey message board and the amp is gonna be probebly 1200$ list price. :D
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    So it will sell for at least 700 and probably 800 bucks... I pass.
  14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Comparing the Peavey BAM 210 to a Carvin 210 combo is just like the good ol' "apples and oranges" comparison. Aside from the amps both being 210 combos, they aren't that similar. The Carvin has a lot of tone shaping options, a good compressor, and a noise gate that doesn't work very well. The Peavey BAM is a Modeling amp with onboard effects: chorus/flange, octave divider, distortion, and auto wah (and a compressor as well).

Also, passing judgement on the Peavey BAM at this point is a bit premature. Peavey hasn't started shipping them yet. So, unless you went to Winter NAMM 2001 or you work for Peavey, you haven't heard what this amp sounds like (I know I haven't). How about waiting until your local Peavey dealer has one on the showroom floor, turning it on and playing throught it for a while, and then deciding whether you like it or not...
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Doh... Got me there. I suspect it won't be the value of the redeye, but I have never heard it and for all we know it might be a awesome sounding amp well worth the price. I concede your point. :)
  16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Wow, a modeling amp for bass? I'll pass on that too I guess...

I know it's a preference thing, but for me, I don't like guitar-type effects on my bass. I love those effects for playing guitar(run a RG-570 through a Flextone II combo) but I can't see applying the same effects to my bass signal.

The one and only unit I own that even resembles a bass effect is the Tech 21 sans amp driver. Even that I use sparingly. :)

If anyone gets this amp though, I would still love to see the feedback. Even though I don't care for the effects myself, it's interesting to watch how amplification technology continues to grow. Just when you think you've heard it all, something else inevitably comes along.

Sounds pretty versatile for people who would like those onboard effects for bass.