1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Peavey Addition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Have a Peavey Foundation S (US made) headed my way. Anybody know much about them? Bought it w/o playing it, but I've really adored most US spec Peavey's that I've played and owned over the years. Never tried one of these, so it's a bit of a roll of the dice. I like the fact that it's a P/J config. Those who have played them, fill me in. Here are some pics of the actual one I bought:

0d_1.

a5_1.

c6_1.

26_1.

b3_1.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Vic, who posts alot, had one. He will probably chime in after a while. I currently have a Foundation with the original Super Ferrite single coil pups. I just got it back from the shop after having a tone control installed and I am blown away by this bass! It really nails a '70's Jazz sort of vibe. Marcus Miller licks sound fantastic on this bass. On top of the sound, it has a super thin neck like a Geddy Lee Jazz and a maple fingerboard. All of this, and I only have $174 in this bass! The neck is even bi-cut like a US G&L. I used this bass for rehearsal at my church's Easter program, and it will see use Sunday because that killer tone makes up for not a having a B string!

I sure hope your Foundation is as good as mine!:D :bassist:

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Is your bass Salmon or Red? Mine is salmon, but it has faded and looks pretty pink on the peghead now. Guys who see it, say I should be working for Prince! I don't have enough chops for that gig, but I know my Foundation would sound as good as his bassist's, Rhonda Smith, Jazz Deluxe!:bassist:

4. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I had a foundation much like Dr Cheese just described, and absolutely adored it. I also owned a Fury (bought new in 1990) that I purchased b/c I couldn't afford the bass that you have pictured here, FWIW I have always LOVED peavey basses, and the only reason that I don't own one right now, is because I spent all my dough on speakers lately :-D I am sure that you'll love the Foundation S, it really was considered the top notch at the time.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You are going to love it. Great bass.

6. Quadzilla

I believe it's red (not Salmon). Was the "S" version of this bass that I have considered the high end Foundation or low end? I see that most Foundations have two "Super Ferite" pickups while this one has a P and J config. Didn't know if that made it better or worst and also whether it originally cost more or less than the other version. Thanks again guys!!!! (Where the hell is Vic when you need him!) :))

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    These are typically particularly good deals. The one I had (and had to move on as well), was definitely a player asthetically, but all the meat and 'taters were there for sure. As with a lot of the USA Peavey stuff, unsung heros, sleepers, etc.

I don't recall it necessarily striking me as strongly in the '70's "Marcus" vibe, but I would say it had great tone. I THINK the J is humbucking as well, which is nice. So many great P/J's out there use the single coild J which sux on a PJ because you get hum even when blending the pickups since you have one HB and one SC together... they can't wire them to humbuck together. I was able to get the action down pretty low too... the fret job was done very very well.

I originally got it for a "leave it out" passive 4 string general practice bass, but quickly learned that, with the Geddy sitting there, it wasn't gonna' get any love, because as nice as the Foundation was, the GL killed it easily.

Otherwise, probably one of the best general utility basses I've checked out, and a fantastic value.

8. Quadzilla

Thanks Vic! :hyper: Do you (or anyone) recall where the S Series fell in the lineup? Was it an upgrade from the ones with Super Ferrites, or a lower end model?

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    That's a good question, which you might check the peavey.com forums on, or send Steve some email about, but I THINK it was an indication of a premium model. The tuners are either Schallers or something easily as good.

Mind if I ask around how much you paid?

10. Quadzilla

$198 shipped, no case (gig bag). I'm told it is "new" just sat in a music store forever and ever and was never sold though it has a few marks on it from being on display (I'm told nothing major). I know I didn't get the deal of the century or anything, but I "feel" it's a fair price (I'll know more once I get it). If she does not win me over, it'll be in the TB FS Forum at whatever I have into it (if I put new strings on it, or get it setup, it may be a little more than the $198 obviously). I'm hoping it's a keeper though!

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My Foundation has two single coi pups like a Jazz, and it has a maple fingerboard, those factors probably help it have a Jazz sort of sound and it definitely gets a Marcus Miller sort of sound.

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, that's a good price. Actually, it's a GREAT price considering what it is. The only reason it's "officially" only a "good" price, is because of its intrinsic value if you did have to move it. Double-edged sword.

If you don't have any great passive 4 stringers, I'd be surprised if you didn't consider it a keeper easily... especially if the P/J config is your thing. Again, the ONLY reason I moved mine on, was because of that darn Geddy bass (and GAS of course). :)

13. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Sweet!! Just had a new (to me) Millenium 5 Plus (not the BXPs) land recently and may have another on the way soon!!

:hyper:

14. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    If those pickups are the same as they put in the dynabass unity series, then the J is humbucking. I had a dyna unity koa for a while. VERY nice bass. Neck thru, ebony board, koa body and neck,purple heart stringers. I believe the dyna unity series was the testing ground for what became the TL 5 and TL6 lines. Had one of each of those too! Up until pretty recently, Peavey was the only bass I had ever bought NEW. I am down to one PV now, but she's a keeper.

Lee

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh yeah, I forgot, these have microtilt adjusters too! WAY cool feature!

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a black version of the exact same bass. A foundation S. Mine had the p/j, and yes, the J is a side by side humbucker (2 strings per coil). They have adjustable pole pieces like dimarzios. It is easily one of the best cheap passive basses out there. If that one is anything like mine, though, it has more kick than a lot of active basses. It may not be aesthetically remarkable, but the tone is the most solid bass tone. It fits in a mix very well.

I had a thread about the one I bought, and I have to mention here that it's wiring is top notch. They come with a thick shielding foil on the inside of the cavity, and it is dead quiet. Also, the controls are very responsive. I tend to favor a 80% J and a 20% P (approx) sound. Most blend controls don't do it for me. But this thing does it so well.

I play the Foundation as much as I play my American Fender Jazz Deluxe. The neck is super comfy (and it's a 2 piece neck, VERY stable). It's as thin front to back as a Geddy, but not as narrow of spacing, if memory serves. At least it feels that way to me. Fantastic tuners, too. Much better than any other 200 dollar bass out there. I bought mine for 200 with a hardcase. I think you'll enjoy it. It's my bass that I use when I may give it a bump or two(yet still get a fantastic sound), but don't want to use a junker.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
  18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Oh, and the bridges are all steel, IIRC.

19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You are going to love it. I had one in white. Awesome bass :hyper: