Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Peavey Cabs vs New Carvin Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgce, Sep 14, 2001.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Say,

I'm interested in buying a 4x10 cab or maybe a 15" with a tweeter. I figure the most bang for the buck going is either new Peaveys or Carvins.

Has anyone out there been able to do a taste test with either of these companies and either of these cabs (4x10 or 1x15)?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanx,

Ron

2. I have never played through Carvins, though a lot of people like them. I really like the Peavey's I've played through, especially the 4x12 w/tweeter. The advantage of the Peavey is that you can probably find one nearby to test out. Not so the Carvin.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've played through both.

I BOUGHT Peavey. Nuff said...

4. jazza42uk

jazza42uk

Sep 14, 2001
    Bristol, UK
    I have two Peavey 410TXF cabs; they're fantastic bits of kit. I would never have guessed it possible to obtain such trouser flappin' bottom end from a wall of tens. And they're so cheap too. Wonderful stuff.:D

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I haven't tried any Carvin cabs, but I have no problem recommending Peavey. I have two Peavey bass cabs and I'm thinking of buying another one.

(BTW, at this time, Peavey doesn't offer a 1x15 with a tweeter.)

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The Peavey 115BXBW doesn't need a tweeter either. Trust me.

I vote for Peavey too.

Just to show you how much of a fan of Peavey stuff I am, I'll let you see my bass setup:

www.geocities.com/cvinfestedcv/Sterling-Amp

:)

7. I'm practically reverse-quoting you guys.
    I really like carvin, although I've never played a peavy:)

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow, you guys sure dig Peaveys. I do too. My first amps both guitar and bass have been Peaveys. I've played Peavey combos for years but then got turned on to Carvin.

Anywho, I'm leaning more towards a 4x10 cabs now. I'd consider a 1x15" again, but I really want at least a little tweeter in there for the highs. Under low volume, I suppose the higher end responce is fine out of a single 15". However, cranked up all you'd get from that cab is low low low! For now I only want to lug one cab around and I reckon these new ported 4x10 are far more versatile than a single 15" cab.

WEIGHT!!! 4x10s are heavy. And Peaveys are VERY heavy. Some reviews have but them in the 90+ pound range. Hell, I had a Fender BXR 300 combo that was +100 lbs and when I got rid of it I swore I'd never buy another back-breaker again.

Carvin strikes me a to be as good as a Peavey without so much frigg'n weight! Plus, I can get the casters option; Peavey doesn't come with casters.

Feed back?

Ron

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like Carvin, myself.

But don't let casters be the reason you don't buy a Peavey, go down to the hardware store, buy some 3" or 4" casters and screw them on... It's no big deal. :)

10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've never owned Peavey (except for a tiny battery-powered amp), but I've had no problems with my Carvin cabs. I do wish they offered a tweeter in the 1x15, though. The Carvin cabs are built very strongly, but are light.

11. One thing common to the Peavey cabinets is, they all have a published tuning frequency of 40 Hz. This is great for a 4 string, but too high for a 5-string bass.

My experience with the Carvins is both technical and hands-on. They sound nice, but just don't have much bottom end. In actual playing, the RL210 does a poor job of reproducing the B-string notes on my 5-string. Spec-wise, Carvin drivers should be installed in much larger enclosures than the factory cabinets. Too small cabinets cuts the bass response, and my ears can clearly hear it.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    [QUOTEMy experience with the Carvins is both technical and hands-on. They sound nice, but just don't have much bottom end. In actual playing, the RL210 does a poor job of reproducing the B-string notes on my 5-string[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, but yr talking about a 2x10 cab which I think as a stand alone unit is ok for small coffee shop type gigs or medium volume rehersals. But in a loud situation with the addition of using a 5 string bass; I think most any 2x10 would just barely be able to cut it unless you're talking super high-end gear. As far as stand alone units go, I'd have to go either 4x10" or 15" cabs.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, my Peavey 210txf's are rated to 31hz, not 40, which is plenty of room for your B string. I'm sure the 410's will do the same. The Carvins don't even get close, even with their 18's.

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would strongly encourage you to run a search on Carvin cabinets. There has been a bunch of strings on them.

I bought one new about 18 months ago. IT sounded OK and didn't break up with the B string, but my gripe with it was it wasn't loud. Even pushing 500 watts into with the the R600 head, I didn't have nearly the head room that I thought I should.

Having stating this many times here, I have read more than one scientific explaination about speaker efficency and how carvin is behind much of the competition in this category.

Do a search and read it for yourself.

15. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don't need to trust you on this one, 'cause I used to own a 115BXBW, but I sold it.

Now, guess what?...

...That's right! I'm looking for another one. I'm actually looking for Peavey's latest version, which is the 115 BVX according to the latest issue of the Peavey Monitor magazine.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Nope. I just checked the Peavey site. They have NOTHING on it. Not in their cabinets section, not in their NAMM releases section, nowhere.

Perhaps this is a PA cab or something else?

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think it's actually 30 hz.
    Also, the Peavey 810TVX is rated 25hz.
    Tell me that's not insane...

18. The Peaveys are *rated* to 30 Hz, but the box tuning frequency is published as 40 Hz. The box rapidly unloads below the tuning frequency, therefore basically unusable at high power due to no acoustic loading below 40 Hz.

It would be interesting to note how much more cone movement there is at low B compared to low E. Movement should be almost nothing at low E, and should increase dramatically both below and above this point.

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Are you taking into account that Peavey's usually modest with their ratings? And usually tend to give themself less credit than they deserve?

Where do you see the tuning frequency published at that?
    I own two peavey cabinets, I got no additional papers with it, and also, on their site it even says 30hz for the 2x10 and 4x10, but 25hz for the 8x10.

I'm not trying to undermind you in any way, shape, or form, you're far more knowledgable on cab's, and amps than me, it just seems illogical - what you're trying to say. :)

20. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have a Peavey Monitor magazine, Volume 20, Issue 1, and it has a two page layout of all the Peavey bass amps and cabs on pages 56 & 57. Clearly pictured and listed is a 115 BVX bass enclosure.

I'll post a question on the Peavey board and try to get more info...