1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Peavey Cirrus basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattyN, Nov 29, 2017.

1. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Talkbassers. I haven't posted in a long time. I want to take a moment to say that TB was so helpful to me when I was first putting together my gigging setup. That was a great many years ago but I remain grateful.

I have a pretty big stable of basses but my late 90's Peavey Cirrus has always been my favorite. I gig with it about 80% of the time. Recently I've gotten the urge to get a second one. I know there are quite a few Cirrus fans in here (at least there used to be) so I wanted to ask about the new Indonesian made ones.

My gut says to by another older American made one.

Thoughts?

Mr_O'B likes this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This me on an import five string Tiger Eye Cirrus. It is well put together, but don’t think it has the zing of the American electronics. Compare to an American Cirrus four I used to own:

Mr_O'B likes this.
  3. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks! Confirming my instincts. The pretty import tiger eye's are starting to be avail fairly cheap but I'm gonna get a USA version.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would still play a few imports if I could because Peavey May have worked out the bugs, but you cannot go wrong with a Mississippi Cirrus.

Bill Whitehurst and Mr_O'B like this.
  5. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Great videos! Not saying the newer Cirrus doesn't sound good, but
    newer doesn't always mean better! Your videos are proof!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. The USA Cirrus preamp PCB was supplied by a Korean firm called Song U Evo. There's no "Made in USA" on the VFL's,hook up wire is Korean.On one of my Cirrus the VFLs are marked Axe 5,now the Axcelerators were "Crafted in" so have import parts. If the VFL's were being imported back in 1994 there's little chance production later got moved to the USA and higher costs. I wouldn't be surprised if all the electrical components, except the Switcraft jack socket,were Korean.

Help me out fellas, where does "the zing of American electronics" come from :laugh:

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can’t explain it, but my old US Cirrus sounded better than the new imports. Maybe it is the wood, but I just know I can hear the difference in the videos I posted.

TinIndian likes this.
  8. If asked all I can honestly say is these all sound like Cirrus to me.
    Cirri.
    I very much doubt I'd be saying any one I tried in a shop would is better but a shop wont take kindly to me changing strings or adjusting pickup heights till it plays it's best.The shop bass is at a disadvange from the get go.

Course I'm just talking out my hat here as the import Cirrus is still not for sale in Europe.

Attached Files:

9. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Just curious but did Peavey stop producing the Cirrus bass, doesn't seem like anybody is selling or has these anywhere.

10. @gwangi

Check eBay,a couple have been listed there for months now. Probably the same sellers have them on Reverb.

Sweetwater handled the pre-orders then got a small number in stock. When the stock sold they went back to ordering them individually. Early this year SW stopped listing the Cirrus completely.

No idea where-else might have them. 18 months from release none of the European distributors have ordered any,haven't heard any news from Peavey folks in Australasia or the Far East. Importing one is a no-go.Even if the US dealers were allowed,basses with rosewood boards and bubinga options are up against CITES regs.

I sometimes wonder if the re-issue actually happened :laugh: