1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Peavey Cirrus made in Indonesia ( Non BXP) Questions??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsuwinski777, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Hello, I am curious about the newer Inodesian made Cirrus basses ( not BXP, REAL Peavey cirrus). I believe Peavey has moved production to Indonesia since the USA factory was shut down.. I hear that they are the same, if not better quality than the older USA models.. is this true? I have the chance to buy one pretty much brand new for $500 and I'm wondering if it's a good deal? I know Peaveys don't hold much resale value, even more if it's not USA made. I play in a melodic metal/ hardcore band that plays in A/A#.

Attached Files:

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have played and owned some really nice basses made in Indonesia. The quality was quite good on most of them.

The Cirrus that is made offshore is not quite the same as the ones that were made in the US. I believe the Indonesian basses have a metal plate on the back of the headstock which I think is to help with dead spots on the neck. I have owned a total of 5 US made Cirrus (still have 3) and none of them have dead spots on the neck. Perhaps the Indonesian basses do not have graphite in the neck as the US basses do. The offshore basses also use different woods than what was used on the US basses but the Walnut may be the one that stays close to the woods used in the US. I have no idea if the electronics and PU's are the same but will say that one of our Talkbass brothers played a 5 string recently and said it sounded and played great.

That said, $500 for a neck through bass is not a bad deal. Could be a killer deal if you really like the bass. I have 3 Cirrus...a Redwood top 6 that I have about $1000 in, a Wenge top 6 that I have $750 in and a flame maple top 5 that I have about $800 in. I have recently seen US made 4 strings for about $600 in fine shape with the original case. You just have to watch for them and move quickly when one pops up. They go fast.

Jsuwinski777 and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  3. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Ouch!

4. If it still uses the same pickups and pre amp, it should be good,
    so long as they stick to the design and have decent QC.

If that is all there, you like it and it plays/sounds good, go for it.

5. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Yes I actually got a sweet deal on a custom Shop 5 string and I'm in love with it! Just don't know how it would compare.. they are very far apart, but correct me if I'm wrong. Peavey isn't making USA models anymore?

6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Peavey has ceased production of basses in the US.