Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Peavey Head ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turlu, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I thought I saw somwehere an advertisement about the new Peavey Pro 1600 and then few months later, nothing on the web site and no news.... Anyone knows what is going on ???

And how about the Peavey Pro 500 ??? Anyone experienced with these ??? They don`t seem to be popular, but Peavey usually makes good gear. Let me know.

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The reason the Pro 500 never took off is those goofy white knobs on the front. They are almost as awful as the red and blue plastic knobs that come on the Eden heads. :meh:

3. :eyebrow: :rolleyes:

Knobs? I wonder how the Fender bass ever made it with those ugly chrome knobs.

I think Peavey didn't make it because of their repution - inexpensive workmanlike gear. There is too much competition for another amp like that to make it. I saw a BP review of it too. They kind of made it sound rather ho-hum. So maybe features had something to do with it.

As for Eden, funny knobs didn't stop them from being successful. :smug:

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    IMO, Peavey is one of the worst at advertising items that are not yet available. I was shown the Pro 1600 at the 2004 Winter NAMM, and as far as I know it's still not being made. :meh:

I've played the 500 model, and liked it. The mid section is incredibly versatile. I don't like the fact that it has to be run to 2 ohms to get the full out put though. Sorry, I've never been good at reviews ;)
    All in all, I think it's a good amp. There's my $.02

5. I don't think white knobs had much to do with it not selling or being produced. Peavey watts are pretty accurate. I just got a Firebass head and 450 Peavey watts are surprisingly louder than the old 350 Fender watts I was using into the same cab. They probably decided there wasn't much need or demand for more power than what the Pro 500 head already puts out.

6. I currently play a Pro500 head and love it. I did a review a few weeks ago about it. I'm not to good either at writing reviews but I did because I am so happy with this head.
    The knobs are not very appealing I must agree. And you must get to 2ohms for the full power.
    I use this atop a 410 cab, sometimes also a 115 cab, for my platform monitor. It has enough power for this setup through the one cab. Presently my volume is set at about 11' clock position.
    At first the para-met EQ was alittle confusing because I had never dealt with one before. But once I had an understanding of the freq. ranges of the bass, the equipment, etc., it was on! I now can dial in any tone/sound I want because of the para EQ. The mid-range eq as you said will give you unlimited possibilities to decide from. The styles played on this rig are from old hymns with a mellow sound, a little drive for some old gospel, to the ultimate in slap/pop/groove praise & worship. Our sanctuary seats 1200 people and although I use the rig for my monitor I have used it for the a main setup with no problems. Also I have had this head for several months now with no problems at all.
    Please keep in mind that my rig is setup and never moves. The acoustics of the room change very little.
    I have played through several heads and this one has it for me. The only other head I am interested in at this point is an all tube. I am hearing so much about these on the forums I want to check one out.

If you have any questions about the amp PM me and I'll help as best I can.

Also, I know that Peavey is not as cool or thought of as other companies whether for real or percieved reasons, I have found their quality to be very good. I am not a professional bassist by any means, yet, so I have to keep things in perspective finacially and Peavey allows me to have good, reliable, equipment on my budget.

Groove till that day! :bassist:

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Peavey makes good gear, reliable and inexpensive.

I would not buy an Amp because of its apparence, but of its Tone, so for me the Michelin knob, even if they look kind of goofy, are not an obstacle to buy Peavey.

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I'd rather have an old Peavey head than the Eden. Even that funky old Peavey bass head from the 70's with that heavy cast aluminum face plate. The Eden head has those goofy red, blue, and grey plastic knobs on the front, which aside from looking silly, make the unit look like a cheap clock radio from the mid 60's. And that gold anodized brushed aluminum face plate looks like it came off the Maytag washing machine my mom got in 1964. I don't care what they sound like if I have to be embarrassed standing in front of it.

And those Eden cabinets. I have several of them and they all have that big ugly plaque on the front that says David Eden. It's about half the size of an auto license plate, why? A simple badge the size of a shirt button would have been enough. One of these days I'm going to take a hammer and a chisel and pry them off of there.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

These comments are almost as insightful as the ones you made in the Combo amp thread.

10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Thanks.

11. If you are embarassed about it then hide it behind the cab

12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Or put a Firebass head on top of my Eden stack and hide the Eden head down on the floor. Or just skip Eden heads and go with a winner, Peavey.
    Right now I'm looking for a mint condition Peavey Centurion head which I will use as a preamp for my PLX3002 driving the Eden cabs. After 40 years, finally my dream rig come true.

13. Fair enough, can never loose with a firebass :p

never tried a centurion

14. Sorry but WT800 > Firebass. I own a Firebass and can only dream about the WT800.

15. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Well, I went ot try out the Peavey Pro 500 along with a Pro 410 Cabinet. I guess I was out of luck cause the noise coming out of the Amp was so bad, it distorted so bad, and we checked all cables, settings, swapped Basses, cabinets, etc. etc. and still the sound coming out of the rig was really awful, I guess it was broken or something so I can not judge of the quality of that head. I am really surprised cause all Peavey gear I have had over the last 20 years never showed a sign of weakness or malfunction.

I will wait for Peavey to come out with the Pro 1600 or even a new All Tube head and I will be the first one in line !!!!!