1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Pedal Board advice from effect gurus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Saluki, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    OK, so I am pretty new with setting up a complete effects board. I have used effects in a limited capacity in the past, with maybe a one or two effect pedals and never owned a pedal board. I have an interest in setting up a functional board and I don't need anything to crazy tone wise. Will be used sparingly in rockin' worship type music, some fill in work with pop/rock bands and to noodle with at home.

I am looking for suggestion on how to setup (signal path, voltage, etc) with what I have now or or what is incoming and if there are any gaps that need to be filled in and maybe some favorite settings or applications of the pedals.

So here is what I have:
    New Pedal Train Jr
    New Trex Chameleon power
    MXR Bass octave deluxe
    Robotalk 2 envelope filter
    Wonderlove envelope filter (will only use 1 filter, probably wonderlove)
    TC electronics flashback delay
    Tech21 Bass fuzz/boost
    Sonic research turbo tuner

I know I will need a compressor and was thinking about the new MXR compressor but open to ideas. Also open to where to put stuff in the chain. Also thinking about a chorus effect and a bass synth pedal. Let me know you thoughts. Thanks!!

2. Shizzle Gits

Shizzle Gits Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The real answer is the order that sounds best to you. As a starting point, based on what you have now: tuner, oct, fuzz, filter, delay. Chorus before delay. Synth after octave. Comp is a bit tricky. It depends on how you plan to use it. I recommend reading http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/chain.shtml for good advice on this. I put mine after dynamic effects, but before time-based effects. So in this case, the comp would go after the filter.

3. Spino

Spino

May 21, 2006
    Germany
    This is the order usually used .
    WAH before or after distortion is is debatable.

AMP-TREM-VERB-DELAY-MODULATION-EQ-DIST-COMP-WAH-BASS

4. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    In general I would suggest the following:
    Tuner placement doesn't matter, most people tend to put it at the beggining of the chain.
    Octaver first, tracks best when first in the chain.

Distortion next, if you have multiple distortions it can be best to go from lowest clipping to most.

Then you'd want the filter. Feeding a fuzzed out octaved bass into a Filter gets you into synthy territory nicely.

Follow it up with Delay.

A compressor can be used for a variety of different reasons, but the most common bass usage tends to be at the end of the chain for evening things out after they go through all the effects (filters can be quite peaky sometimes) or at the beginning to even your basic sound to start with. This can cause issues with filters though as they may not open as well if the dynamics are compressed too much.

A dedicated synth would be best at the beginning for tracking purposes. A chorus is good between the delay and filter or right before the filter.

So for your board I would say Tuner>BOD>FUZZ>Wonderlove>Flashback to start with

Important thing is to experiment and figure out how you like it best.

5. I'd put the tuner first so you can tune with other effects on. It's will be a lot more accurate. It will also act as a cut off at the end of songs without cutting the delay trails or changeing thier sound.

I put the comp after my oct and envelopes to control the large signals they can produce. Sound guys love this because you don't suddenly hit them with a lot of signal.

Drives and fuzzes are input sensitive, they sound different as the input gain changes. I put my comp before my drives so the drive has a more consistant tone, especially when running the octave or envelopes.

I run my chorus before my reverb (and delay if I used one). They seem to sound better to me.

Here's my chain. Bass, MXR Enveolpe, EBS Envelope, MXR Octave, EBS Multicomp (Always on), Tech 21 VT Bass, EBS Unichorus, Ebs Dynaverb, Visual Sound Volume, Sonic Stomp (Always on), EBS Microbass Pre.

My tuner comes of the Volumes Tuner out.

There are reasons most folks put a pedal in a certain location, but there are no rules. Try it how ever you want. You my find something really cool because you have you signal chain "in the wrong order".

6. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I would do the following:

Bass > tuner > wonderlove (set to buffer) [within wonderlove loop - compressor, octave, fuzz] > delay.

You want the most unaltered signal triggering the filter on the wonderlove. With it set to buffer, the rest of the pedals will stay active when it is not active. First in the effects loop would be comp, then octave (to get a stronger signal from the comp), then fuzz (because octave into fuzz is awesome). I personally prefer delay after everything.

7. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    Can you explain to me the benefit of running the other pedals in the effects loop of the onderlove?

8. An envelope filter alters the filtering based on the strength of your signal coming from your bass. When you put a distortion or compressor (or almost any pedal really) before the filter, it changes the characteristics of the filter motion. An effects loop taps the clean bass signal for the filter control, then runs the signal through the effects that are in the loop and then through the filter.

It gives the sound of running your pedals before the filter, with the response of using only your clean bass.

9. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    Now I have this coming too:eek:: Pedal binge continues.

Demeter Compulator compressor
    EBS Octabass
    Boss CE-5 chorus
    Boss RV-3 reverb/delay
    Tech 21 SansAmp

Overlap for sure, but am I missing any essentials?

10. JBNeedsBeer

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    In the effects forum, if you look long and hard enough at your board, you will always find that you are missing something.

11. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    So the remaining pedals would be in the loop of the wonderlove, correct? If thewonderlove is bypassed the others will work and if I kick the the wonderlove on it will affect the bass signal first and then add any other effects in the loop to the affected signal, correct? Can all the remaining effects be in the loop or should some not be in the loop and can this even be done without some switch pedal? Whew!

12. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz "My arms are too short to box w/ God." J.R. Cash Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    The Demeter Compulator is a great compression pedal, but I recommend feeding it 12V to squeeze your active basses. My Zon got along with it just fine, but my G&L crushed it and I had to find an 18V compressor instead.

13. JBNeedsBeer

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    Yes, except for the chorus, reverb and delay. Those would go after the wonderlove. While anything is in the effects loop of the wonderlove and it is set to act as a buffer, they will work even when the wonderlove is off. If you set it up this way, the wonderlove will register the attack of your notes from before the effects loop, but will effect the signal after the effects loop. So, you can have the fuzz running and working as usual and then hit the wonderlove to only engage the envelope filter. I would put the chorus/reverb/delay effects after the envelope because I prefer them to affect the filtered signal. The loop section really is a great option to have on an envelope filter.

14. It sounds pretty complicated, but once you start swapping pedals in and out of the loop it will become clear what we're talking about; then you can decide for yourself what needs to go in the loop.

15. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    Been working on this and oh my how things change quickly. I want to get it finished up to post a picture up but I need a right angle to right angle daisy chain to go from my fuel tank. Does anybody know where I can pick one of these up?

16. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I brought this up in another thread and got an answer I didn't totally buy. Basically, these are both monophonic tracking effects (in nearly all cases), but the synth outputs in monophonic while an octave outputs in polyphonic. It seems to me you would almost always want your synth first, and then, as necessary, apply an octave effect to that. If you put the octave first, then you are feeding the synth a signal that will only confuse the synth (unless you are running the octave 100% wet, in which case, why would you do that?).

The answer I got in the other thread was some people do in fact run it 100% wet, play higher up the neck, and prefer the tone of the octave signal when it's blended with the synth. To me, that seems highly specific. I would think the ability to add an octave signal to your synth is a much more general, broader use.