New pedal board for funk/rock

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by need4mospd, Mar 8, 2006.

1. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    This will be from the ground up. I've got about $400 to spend on a pedal setup, maybe a little more. I'm looking into an envelope filter, a compression pedal, and maybe a fuzz/distortion of somekind. These will be my first bass pedals for my first band.

I'd like the envelope for the funky sounds, the compressor to help when I change between slap and fingerstyle mid-song, and the distortion for our more hardcore songs. Anything else I'm seriously missing here? I plan on visiting a couple shops to check out their equipment first hand before I buy, so I'm not looking into actual brand names yet. Although, I'll take recommendations from anyone in a similar funk/rock band.

Ibanez SR506 or Fender Jazz 5 MIM
    Ampeg B2RE and 4x10HE
  2. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    hey man,

im in a similar situation. i just got in this funk/rock band recently. actually not even a month so im also planning my pedal board.

the fx i got planned for are:
    1.) a pedal tuner (Korg dt-10)
    2.) over drive/disrotion (digitech bad monkey and ibanez pd-7 although im hoping to get a fulltone bassdrive someday soon which will own both of these)
    3.) octaver (good ol boss oc-2)
    4.) wah (dunlop 105q)
    5.) comp (aphex punch factory)
    6.) and a sansamp. im not so sure about the sansamp though. still not decided on whether i like what it does for my 'ray's tone or not...
  3. dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    search the forums for what bassists in other funk rock bands use such as flea or incubus's bassist (forgot his name)
  4. Sev.Moe

Dec 15, 2005
    you're thinking about dirk lance:)
    Flea uses a DOD envelope filter wich sounds very nice:smug:
  5. For years, the only pedal I used was a Small Stone Phase Shifter (and it is still the one I use most). I also use the EH Bass Micro Synthesizer, but at over $200, that might take a big chunk out of your $400 budget. I also have a Bass Balls (but it isn't as useful as the Small Stone). In any event, if I had $400 to spend, I'd start with the Small Stone and work up from there.
  6. Dude, i have the answer to 2/3's of your question

Just listen to the clips. And the fuzz has a dedicated out to join up to the 00funk. IMO, its pretty greasy ;)
  7. I play in a funk/rock band too.
    I use MXR M-80 DI+, and the guitarist's extra VOX wah (the chrome one) for some slap solos. An EBS Multi-Comp will be added soon. I run my Fender AMD Jazz through Ampeg Portabass and Hartke 3500. Thats all i need really...