1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new pedal board pics

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crabby, May 7, 2006.

1. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My work in progess! I know this should go in the massive pedal board thread but I thought it might be okay to start a new thread.

I spent quite a bit of time putting together a bass effects board that doesnt suck tone. I started with Warwick Rockcase which was about $100 Canadian. The whole board is powered by a Godlyke Power all so I only need one power point. All pedals attached with velcro. I made some neat little mounting plates using square floppy discs, black tape and velcro for the Wah, and overdrive. That way both pedals could keep the rubber feet on and are not damaged in any way.

The bass plugs into the Radial Dual true by pass looper pedal.

Loop#1 goes to Mini Q Tron, Aphex Punch Factory, Dunlop 105Q Wah, Fulltone Bassdrive.

Loop#2 goes to Boss BD2 flanger, MXR Phase90, Boss DD3 delay.

Then the looper goes out to an MXR Micro Amp for boost if required. I plan to add an EHX Bassballs soon but will likely have to reconfigure the whole board to make it fit. Any comments anyone has on making improvements would be appreciated. So far it sounds really good and is a blast to play through.

2. thats almost exactly how I want my pedal board setup...Ive been lookin at the godlyke but Ive heard theres a big noise issue how do you like it?

3. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    Congratulations on your board, man.

Pretty good looking nad, I bet, pretty good sounding. :)

4. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    looks cool!!!!

i'd put a riser for the back pedals

5. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    looks sweet. good job

6. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks guys. So far no noise issues at all. I briefly brought home a new Zoom B2 and thought it might be a good unit to have in one of the effects loops. Unfortunately, there was so much digital white noise coming from it as soon as I powered it up with the Godlyke unit that there was no way it would be useable. I returned it to the store after considering keeping it as a headphone practice amp but decided to spend my cash on more anolog pedals instead.

I have no desire at all to try any more multi effects units or amp/cab simulator types units. Comparing the preset effects in the Zoom to the real thing was night and day. The Phase90, Mini QTron and by old BF2 flanger were just so warm and liquidy sounding compared to the Zoom versions.

Sometimes it takes a little A-B comparing to realize that the "real thing" is so worth it.

So far my set up is noise free with virtually no loss of tone, punch or clarity. I highly recommend going with individual pedals even if you have to start with only one or two.

Its a lot easier justifying spending $100 here and there or even $200 once in awhile for a new pedal than trying to get away with getting another bass! I only have so much leeway with my wife! haha

7. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    +1

8. jujube_2a

jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    Nice board!
    What is the brand of your patch cables, and where did you buy them?

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
  10. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    If you're going to get the NYC BassBalls over the Russian it wont be too hard to fit on, as it's really tiny. I would suggest moving the Bassdrive to the Left towards the Looper, and then plopping it in next t the Wah.

Edit: Could you go into more detail about what you did for the 105Q so you didn't have to remove the feet? As I have one that has had a rather dodgy method in place for a few months now :p

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Sure thing. I took 2 square computer floppy discs, put one on top of the other so they were lined up and taped them together with some black electrical tape. Repeat that with another two discs and you will see that they line up perfectly between the four rubber feet under the pedal and the thickness of the two discs is pretty much the same as the thickness of the rubber feet.

I then unscrewed the bottom plate, removed the battery door and put it away as it is not needed and is in the way, and then took three strips of sticky velcro about an inch wide each, and stuck them to the discs so that the ends wrapped under the metal plate and stuck on the inside to the underside of the plate.

Then I re installed the plate by screwing on the 4 feet and voila! its done. This way the only thing actually sticking to the pedal is the ends of the velcro strips that are stuck to the inside of the bottom plate. Once screwed back on, its very solid, nothing is going to move and the pedal is very securely attached without mucking it up or damaging it in any way.

I put the battery door away so as not to lose it and you can just barely see the edges of the computer discs sticking out from the side of the pedal. Works like a charm. Hope I explained it right.

12. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Thanks alot! I too have removed the battery door, but what i did was take the screws out, and just use ome elastic bands to keep the pedal attached to the base! obviously it slides around a bit, but its never fallen off.

Cheers for the thorough description,
    James.

Edit: Could you maybe take a picture or two? :D Sorry to be so cheeky!

13. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I will take some pics in the next day or two and post them. I also used the floppy disc trick to mount up my Fulltone Bassdrive as I didn't want to take the feet off of it or gum it up with sticky velcro. Works like a charm.

I am waiting for one more pedal thats on back order (Bassballs) to finnish off my board and will then take new photos as I have managed to squeeze a few more pedals on. Its fun to have a work in progress!

14. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Heh. Don't think I'll need 'em now :p

I went and made it from your description and even if I did it wrong, it works a treat! Thanks man.

15. What kind of pedal board are you using? It looks like the size I'm after. How tough is it?

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You weren't asking me, but he stated that is a Warwick Rockcase.

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    No tuner?

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Glad to hear the floppy disc trick worked out!

I have a tuner in my rack so don't really need one on the floor. I could add one tho as my Radial looper pedal has the option of running one of the loops as a tuner out/mute. I have nothing connected to the second loop and set the toggle switch so that when you step on loop#2, it mutes the whole signal. Great for guitar changes on stage!

The Warrwick Rockcase is a great deal at $100 Canadian. It came with a big roll of sticky velcro and is really a good size for a moderately large board.

I spent more time tweaking my set up tonight and its coming along nicely. Since taking the pics above I have added an EHX Little Big Muff after the Fulltone and its fantastic! I have also made room for the EHX USA Bassballs that I have on order. I will post updated pics once that pedal arrives.

19. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Where did you buy it in Canada? I'll be in Vancouver in August.

20. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The pedal board itself I picked up at Long & Mcquade In Vancouver. They sell some smaller ones that look more heavy duty but they are very expensive and have a foam that has to be cut out for the pedals to sit in. This means you only have one chance to set up your board and then its permanent.

I seem to be constantly tweeking mine to find the best order and set up of pedals and like to have flexibility to make changes.