1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Pedal Day! Ampeg Sub Blaster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bray101, Feb 26, 2013.

1. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Found a great deal on a used Ampeg Sub Blaster from Guitar Center Used Website. You rarely find them used, as they are no longer in production, and they are fairly pricey when they do appear. I was lucky to snag this one fairly cheap.

After playing it tonight, it is definitely the most musical octave I've ever played. You could definitely hear the difference between it and the Boss OC-3 that was on my board.

That being said, the low E did cut out a few times on the octave. The dry note went through, but the low octave would cut in and out when my picking attack was light. Needed to really dig in to get it to pop through.

Further, I thought the pedal was even better when running it with my Fulltone Bass Driver acting as just a clean boost. I think I'm going to try it with some form of actual clean boost to enhance the attack a little more. Maybe an MXR Micro Amp or something similar. Maybe someone has an opinion on this tactic. Seems like it just needs something for a slightly more focused attack when the octave is at a higher level than the dry signal. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1361939020.871362.

JimmyM and Driven Crane like this.
  2. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    I think a compressor would probably help you more. And play off the neck pick up :)

3. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Yea. The manual for it recommends the neck pup, but I'm really a fan of mixing in some warmth with my bridge pup. I'm gonna throw a compressor in front at some point, but just never really like them for some reason. Always seemed like it took away my string attack and dynamics.

4. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Nice score! Kudos on getting a deal from GC Used! They're becoming increasingly bad at "deals"!

5. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Ha. Yea. They're not so much about wheeling and dealing any more lately. But trolling their used website patiently can score some great finds. Some you even say "how is this even possible?" I really think some people don't realize what they have.

6. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I've actually had GC in Canton Township, MI flat out say "No!" on an offer I made...and they weren't even polite about it.

skulletwhip likes this.
  7. zartalexander

zartalexander

Mar 17, 2012
    California
    I use this with a compressor pedal and it helps with tracking. Kind of unpredictable sometimes. Like a beefy/subby wall of noise. That's part of the fun of analog octave pedals (to me at least).

But yeah, I love this pedal. And while this shouldn't be a strong deciding factor, I love the aesthetic of it, too.

Good find.

8. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Philosophers Tone + Sub Blaster and some distortion (Mini Dist is my choice for that) after them - you can hear like both guitar and bass plays riff - sweet illusion.

9. This store asked me to leave once when I called out a sales dude's BS.

vegas532 likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cool beans! Good sounding pedal. A shame Ampeg's pedals never caught on.

11. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Good that this two year old thread got resurrected to bring new life to this piece of awesome!

It's still sounding great!