1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new pedal day... green russian muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spaz21387, Jan 22, 2012.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I was delivering newspapers today because my band leader took on a paper route in exchange for an ad in the paper... anyway we walk into a music store and in the display case facing the door is a beautiful green russian big muff with original box. The asking price was 225 which wasnt bad compared to what i saw these go for on ebay/craigslist. 6740468997_2dd256e459.
    IMAG0503 by spaz21387, on Flickr

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    that looks mighty sexy! RAWRR! how much did you get it for? if you paid 225.00 for that you got it for a steal that thing looks PRISTINE!

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    paid 225$. I love this pedal blows my black russian muff away. The black russian will be hitting craigslist tonight. I have never seen a green russian with original box or one that doesnt look like its been through a war.

4. Minty! Nice find.

5. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I envy you, your ability to find such a pristine Muff. My green Sovtek is dirty and beat up. Still puts other Big Muffs to shame, though.

6. Mine looks like it's been through all kinds of wars and natural disasters in its time.

7. Looks brand new! Love it!

8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Amazing condition. Really stunning. Worth a lot more than paid for.

She looks good, can she cook?

Looking forward to your audition notes.

9. I had one many years ago and it was the best fuzz I ever owned. I played it through a n early 70s V4. Incred. Pedal was stolen at a show :( I could have cried. How much did I pay for it you ask? $50.

10. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Very nice, thats a steal!

11. How do these guitar designed muffs sound for bass? I've got one on my guitar pedal board, but since taking up bass, just plug straight into my Berlin combo and that's it.Usually set eq @ noon and filters off and adjust tone from the bass. I haven't even tried my guitar effects, maybe I should.(Fuzz face, Maxon overdrive, chorus, digital delay, big muff, cry baby, volume pedal)

What sez you guys ?

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    If you run the tone knob lower it keeps the low end better. Bass fuzz is kind of an aquired taste... me im a bass fuzz addict i love it. listen to my bands song tazer crazy to hear the fuzz sound i got recorded out of a black russian muff. FiVE-0 | Portland, OR | Alternative / Pop Punk / Crunk | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

I still cant belive I got so lucky and found a 17 year old pedal that looks brand new. Sounds awesome ill try and post some clips eventually. My mic is at the practice space so ill try and remember to bring it home after this weeks practice.

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    So after running the green russian for about a week and a half. She has 2 band practices under her belt so far. My guitarist gave her a try at practice too. He loved it he wants one now too. On guitar it has a crunch sound that other muffs dont have. But anyway back to bass. It gets meaner sounding then my black russian big muff. It has a bit more mids and cuts through a band mix very well. This is by far the best muff I own. Although I still would like to try out a civil war muff.