New Pedalboard Day

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theNecatoR, Nov 14, 2020.

1. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    So after a long time, I am (almost) done with my pedalboard:

125361772_10218996476203091_4823375416353496102_o.jpg

Signal goes In through the red jack of the Looperwer to input 1 in the Boss ES-8 and the next white one to input two.

Then the Boss ES-8 Send/Returns:
    1 -> Electro-Harmonix Bass Soul Food
    2 -> Dunlop Cry Baby Mini Bass Wah -> Electro-Harmonix The Mole
    3 -> Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Big Muff Pi Sovtek
    4 -> Electro-Harmonix Deluxe POG2
    5 -> Meris Ottobit Jr
    6 -> Meris Enzo
    7 -> Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Misstress
    8 -> Meris Hedra
    Tuner -> TC Electronics PolyTune 3 Mini Noir

Out 1 and 2 from the Boss ES-8 go to the second white jack and the black jack of the Looperwerk respectively.

The Boss FV500H goes to both the Volumen in and out of the Boss ES-8 and to the CTL IN EXP 1.
    EXP 1 goes to the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Big Muff Pi Sovtek.
    EXT CTL CTL 1/2 goes to the Boss RC-5.
    EXT CTL CTL 3/4 is not yet in use, but can be routed to the compressor switch of my Orange Little Bass Thing.
    MIDI Out from the Boss ES-8 goes first to the Meris MIDI I/O In. From the Meris MIDI I/O, the TRS outs 1, 2 and 3 go to the Meris Ottobit Jr., Meris Enzo and Meris Hedra respectively. The Meris MIDI I/O Out then goes to the Boss RC-5 and from there, back to the Boss ES-8.

The Boss ES-8 is on MIDI channel 2. and the Boss RC-5 on channel 4. This is because all Meris effects are set on the default channels to receive messages from the Touch OSC templates (1, 3 and 5: Enzo, Ottobit Jr, Hedra). I just have to unplug the ES-8 from the Meris MIDI I/O and plug a Yamaha MD-BT01.

The only things missing are:
    Boss FS-7. A good friend of mine has it at the moment, I'm getting it soon.
    Dunlop Geezer Buttler Cry Baby Wah. Possibly getting it in February to replace the Dunlop Cry Baby Mini Bass Wah.
    and either a DSM & Humboldt Simplifier Bass Station or an Orange Bass Butler. I am inclined to get the former, mostly because of space.

2. expatmuso

expatmuso

Sep 3, 2015
    Nice board, which style(s) of music do you play with it?

3. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    Thanks! My band is called KOJOTE. As the name implies, we started with desert rock, but we play something in the vein of instrumental alternative rock. Our new material is getting more proggy, I think. You can have a listen to our first record (KOJOTE- Heliotrope) on Spotify and iTunes.

4. expatmuso

expatmuso

Sep 3, 2015
    I took a quick listen, sounds cool! Can you recommend any songs where the effects are particularly prominent on bass? Did you get a chance to use the Hedra or the Octobitt Jr. on this record?

theNecatoR likes this.
  5. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    Cool, thanks for the feedback! Sadly no, the first record was before I got the Meris. The Sea features the Electric Misstress and most others have the Deluxe Bass Big Muff and the POG. The new record will be including all Meris more prominently.

expatmuso likes this.
  6. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Your board looks very promising. Nice.

There is a company that produces an aftermarket upgrade kit to a 5 pin MIDI DIN to the POG2. It won't stretch the preset capacity but it will allow you use the ES8 to switch the preset via MIDI as in part of your preset.

theNecatoR likes this.
  7. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    Thanks!
    Yeah, I have actually been contemplating the idea of adding MIDI to my POG2. Microdesignum operates in our neighboring country, so it would be a lot less hassle to ship and let them mod it, than to mod it myself.

thabassmon likes this.
  8. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    That is the exact mod I was meaning. I found it when I was looking into Mod possibilities for my (at the time) Ravish Sitar, Ring Thing, Talking Machine as I already had MIDI happening with the 8 Step and planned to get a V256 (which I now have) because of the MIDI.

I live so far away in NZ that shipping would be costly so I decided against it (I still would like it on my Ring Thing though), but if it's cost effective for you, then I'd say it would be a good option. The ES8 would control which of the 8 POG presets are selected to use on each of the 800 patches. That would make a really good pedal even better.

Looking at the youtube clips it looks like it works fine, I think it's PC only. But that would still increase the potential of your setup.

theNecatoR likes this.
  9. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    Yes, a reason why I got the Hedra is the pitch shifting with MIDI capabilities. The sound character is different to the POG2, so I still use the POG2 depending on the song. Both track great and both sound great, just with different flavours. The limiting factor would be real estate (the midi cable length can make or break the arrangement).

thabassmon likes this.
  10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    New practice space pedal board.
    IMG_2845.jpg

It's an Accel Pro compact. The angled slope makes connections easy to access above the side rails and hides the power/ cables. Easy to add more pedals, and since it's a practice board, no need to secure the pedals.
    IMG_2843.jpg

lgrankin and expatmuso like this.
  11. SubliminalKid

SubliminalKid

Feb 23, 2016
    Norway
    Did you get the Dunlop Geezer Buttler Cry Baby Wah? How does it compare to the Dunlop Cry Baby Mini Bass Wah?

12. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    In the end I got the Bass Butler and kept the mini. It was hard to squeeze the pedals in the space. Maybe I'll try and give it another go.

13. SubliminalKid

SubliminalKid

Feb 23, 2016
    Norway
    Were they very different to your ears?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  14. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    It's tricky, because they do sound different. I didn't mess with the trim pot inside the Geezer, it is quite useful as is and I like the timbre. I obviously like the form factor of the mini, but having a full blown wah makes the sweep more nuanced. I also like the adjustable volume on the mini, sometimes I use it as a boost. But generally for my purposes, the Geezer is the deal.

15. SubliminalKid

SubliminalKid

Feb 23, 2016
    Norway
    I see. I recently got the Mini and found it more subtle than expected
    How's the board these days? time for an update?

16. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Germany
    I might take some pictures and a make a video showing it next week. I have been planning to, just have to actually do it!

SubliminalKid likes this.
  17. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Have you tried running any OD before the wah?

SubliminalKid likes this.
  18. SubliminalKid

SubliminalKid

Feb 23, 2016
    Norway
    Yes! Before and after for added Tim C- ness

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021