Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Pedals.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xax712, Feb 23, 2002.

1. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ok I've noticed an awful lot of guys talking about using guitar pedals in here for bass, so I've been wondering abpout picking up some new pedals, but I know that guitar pedals tend to be cheaper and of a much wider variety than those made specifically for bass. So my question is what pedals for guitar are good on bass and what aren't? If you have any recommendations for pedals that I should get drop a line and mention the pedal whether it be made for guitar or bass, and please mention why and what it does. I amvery pedal illiterate other than the basics, so please help me I know that effects when used properly and with a few smarts can be very good tools.
    Thanks,
    Brad

2. A guitar chorus sounds good on bass except that the lows dont sound very well with a chorus effect on them.
    Any higher quality will work fine on bass. I use an ibanez echo, a boss flanger, and a phase 90... all which are originally for guitar and are actually rather cheap effects that still manage to work rather well. Cheaper effects (dod, some boss, danelectro, etc) will destroy your lows...

3. I always thought there was a pretty good reason for that there are guitar pedals and bass pedals. Kind of like guitar amps and bass amps.

4. "bass" pedals are made to handle lows but high quality "guitar" effects are made to be used on anything and handle most any frequencies.

5. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    OK so if I got one of the better Boss makes on a pedal that was for guitar, such as a flanger. Instead of buying the cheap one I'd be in good shape and it would work for my bass? I'll go check them out then and see what I think. I just hate to buy any pedals in a store cause tey are so darn expensive compared to the internet and I figure that in the net a pedal isn't gonna change much, they are fairly reproductable.
    Thanks,
    Brad