New pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skatevu, Nov 2, 2011.

1. skatevu

skatevu

Apr 3, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Forgive me, for i am new here from the DB side. My indie rock band is starting to get some shows at local rock venues, so i was considering getting some bass pedals. I have about $200 to spend, so i was thinking i could possibly get 2 to 3 pedals. As for our sound, think arcade fire/ ra ra riot kind of stuff. Any suggestions on what to get (brands, type, ect.)? Thanks in ad advance.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The thing is, there is so much out there that we would not be able to narrow it down for you even with the bands mentioned.

Maybe you'd want a really good overdrive or distortion? Well, there's your $200.

If you want to stretch $200 around further, you'll need to either take the easy route and get a digital multifx unit, or give us some more detail about what you do and don't like, in order to winnow out two or three less expensive options that would suit you.

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    The route I took that I would do all over again if I had to....multieffects.

The Boss GT10-B is great and there's several going for cheap in the classifieds here. After a year or two with that, you'll know exactly what pedals you'll want and what you'll never use.

4. skatevu

skatevu

Apr 3, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Well one strong option wpuld be a good overdrive... But i honestly dont know what effects are mainly used in the EB world. Also, what is the sound quality like on onenof those boss multieffects and similar pedals?

5. Here is another voice for a good multi-effects unit. The BOSS ME-50B is a pretty decent box for a starter, and they can be had WELL within your price range if you're willing to go used. If you can swing a little more, the Line6 M9 or M13 are fantastic units. I have an M13, and it is killer.

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Mainly, looking at the bigger population (including outside TB), what bassists use most are overdrive, distortion, and fuzz. That includes pedals designed to emulate the classic "cranked Ampeg" sound, and similar driven-amp emulation. Funk players also typically like envelope filters.

Once you get past those, it starts getting down to the smaller population, those of us that just like all kinds of effects.

Just remember that quality often comes at a price. With $200 in your pocket, you can pretty much buy one really nice pedal, or two average pedals, or a nice one and a crappy one, or an average-quality multifx unit.

For your budget, check out the Line6 M5. The sound quality is about as good as you can hope to get from a digital effect, and you get to try out dozens of different effects that way.

The main thing though that you'll need to do is spend some time reading and searching in this forum. FX is a huge subject, and you have to do some homework. :)

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    quite alot of bassists use modulations effects like chorus, flangers, and phasers

8. Definitely a good fuzz and/or over drive pedal. Onn or the other or both is a must! That should be the first pedal you jump on (a dirt pedal). However, finding the right fuzz and/or overdrive that is right for you will take a long time. Be patient, and enjoy the search. It's fun to buy and sell pedals. The classifieds here and youtube demo videos will be your best friend.

9. A good chorus is also great if you're not really experienced with modulation, or you only want a touch of it.

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I listened to a few Arcade Fire songs and it seems like if you focused on a good drive pedal to start, you could catch a lot of the sounds they are playing on bass.

11. As big a fan I am of the Line 6M9/M13, absolutely do not get one to use as a true multi effects unit. It is meant for guitar and once you get into the distortions and filters that fact become painful apparent. The delays, modulation, and reverbs are sweet but that's just about 50% of all of it's features. Grab a Boss ME-50B or a GT-10B if you have the scratch.

12. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I would just ad a Homebrew Electronic Hematoma or a Fulltone bass drive.
    Distortion plus a boost. These two pedals nice all in one packages.

You could also look at an overdrive plus a fuzz. I have been partial to this solution lately. Pork Loin and Swollen pickles are very good and not too pricey.

13. Depends on what kind of tone you want to achieve. +1 on the multi-effect pedal.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021