New person to 5 strings pleading for advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Mar 17, 2004.

1. I started playing about a year ago and want to buy a 5 string soon, and so am asking for advice on what people think I should go for?
    I play a lot of stuff from really mellow jazz to much heavier stuff, so anyone know of a really versatile bass in the price region of £500 to £700.
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Peavey, Ibanez, Yamaha, MTD (Kingston or Heir), Fender Jazz V are some that come to mind immediately. What's available in your area? Also you need to think about neck shape, weight, and some other factors. Most of the brands I mention above have nice thin necks which making playing a 5 a bit easier (for me).

Just some thoughts. Your best bet is to take a trip to the local reseller and try out a few basses and decide which factors are important to you in selecting a bass.

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Try different bridge string widths. Personally 17.5mm spacing is too narrow for me to play comfortably, but my Pedulla Rapture has 19mm spacing which is just right for me.
  4. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I don't know what that translates to, in US Dollars. However, I'd recomment a Lakland Skyline 55-01 any day over every bass recommended thus far.
  5. If we're talking brand new, I'd say an Ibanez BTB405QM.

A nice tone, feel and a very good B string.

You should try to play as many basses as you can to see which kind of neck profile you prefer, and how comfortable the bass is to play.

6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector NS2000 Q5!
  7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Cort Elrick JP 5
    MTD Kingston or Heir 5 (throw a kickass preamp in it!)
    Lakland 55-01 or the 02

BTW, these all have wider spacing, and are generally on the less expensive side. Someone said a BTB. Not my first choice, but they play and sound great.
  8. all the above suggestions are great basses. i own an MTD myself, and almost bought a BTB.

the lakland skylines are a bit out of the price range though.

being in the UK (i take it your from the UK), another good option would be Shuker Basses the prices start from £695 for the bolt on or thru-neck standard models (although there's nothing standard about them, just check out the specs!). and you would be getting a handmade bass for your money, and Jon's a super nice guy to boot. i'm having a custom built by him.

9. Many good basses are mentioned in this thread and are worth trying out, but try not to worry too much about "brands". As one who tried unsuccessfully several times to move to five string, the best advice I could offer is that you spend time in the local stores playing every fiver that you can get your hands on until you find one that feels "right". When I found the "right one" for me, the transition to five strings happened virtually overnight. As mentioned, try different string spacings to see if a particular one is best suited to your personal style, etc.

Best of luck in your search.
  10. You quote the price in £ are you in the UK?

If you live near London or you can arrange a day trip there, go to The Gallery in Camden or try the Bass Centre near Liverpool street stn. [not sure of the web site address].

Both shops will have a number of basses at all price ranges both new and second hand, it would be a good starting point. I personally prefer The Gallery which is where I got my Sei bass from, and both Alex or Martin Petersen the owner and buildr of Sei basses will try and help you as much as they can.

Another good place in the North is Overwater based in Carlisle at

Good luck in your search