1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Piano trio CD with Georg Graewe & Michael Vatcher

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by damonsmith, Nov 9, 2018.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Released today!
    Georg Graewe / Damon Smith / Michael Vatcher
    Nuscope 1032 Unhesitating
    Georg Graewe - Steinway D piano
    Damon Smith - double bass
    Michael Vatcher - drums

A hi-fi recording recorded in Mt. Vernon, NY at Oktaven Audio on February 1, 2018
    with a cover by László Moholy-Nagy & liner ntoes by Bill Shoemaker

There are two earlier discs with the incredible bassist Marcio Mattos:
    1002 Subsymbolism - nuscope
    &
    1006 Impressions of Monk - nuscope

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    vilshofen, Seanto, J_Bass and 4 others like this.
  2. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    oliebrice likes this.
  3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    Look forward to hearing this, Damon

Incredible musical and audiophile standards at Nuscope, I've ordered both the new releases

I wish they'd sort out some European distribution though! postage from them costs me as much as a CD

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    damonsmith likes this.
  4. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    Very good! Well done Damon! I'm listening now and I like it very much. The drummer is amazing...
    All the best to you all.

damonsmith likes this.
  5. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    yeah! Vatcher is incredible

damonsmith likes this.
  6. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Congratulations, that's a great tune! I really like your playing!

damonsmith likes this.
  7. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Postage from Bandcamp is around $4! Paypal gives a big postal discount. Great label, though.

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Maarten van Retgren Altena was one of the great first generation European free jazz/free improvisation bassists, he plays on this great album:

Later he turned to this crisp, minimalist composition and Vatcher plays on all of those albums, this is a good one:

vilshofen, J_Bass and oliebrice like this.
  9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    DTGM review of Unhesitating:
    Featuring Georg Graewe on Steinway D piano, Damon Smith on double bass and Michael Vatcher on drums. The ever-challenging Nuscope label is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year and has released around 30 superb discs. The great German pianist, Georg Graewe, has had a longterm relationship with the Nuscope label, this being his 9th disc for the label. His first two discs for Nuscope featured a trio with Marcio Mattos on bass and Michael Vatcher on drums. For Nuscope’s 20th anniversary, Mr. Graewe returns with another trio which includes bassist Damon Smith (currently living in Boston) and his original drummer, Michael Vatcher (currently live in NYC). What makes this disc interesting is that it is not merely an all improvised session but includes a could of select covers by Carla Bley and Annette Peacock (both associated with Paul Bley), as well as originals by Mr. Graewe and some group improvs as well. On the opening piece, “Prelude”, the trio lurches forward together, as if balancing on raft on the sea, all three members of equal inertia. Carla Bley’s “Ictus”, is an early song from the mid-sixties and remains one of her most difficult to play. The trio here do an incredible version, creating a tight tapestry of several interconnected orbits. Mr. Graewe’s “Semaphore #04”, has a similar fractured quality to “Ictus”, with several lines spinning around one another in a near frenzied fashion. Although I don’t think that Mr. Smith and Mr. Vatcher have worked together very much in the past (ever?), they sound spirited and focused as they speed up, slow down and criss-cross varying currents. Annette Peacock’s “Nothing Ever was, Anyway”, was once covered by Marilyn Crispell, and it has a most haunting vibe, as if time has slowed down and is filled with subtle suspense. It is hard to believe that this is the first disc by this trio, they do sound splendid together throughout. - Bruce Lee Gallanter, DMG

J_Bass likes this.
  10. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    That's a great review, congratulations!

damonsmith likes this.
  11. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA