1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New pick up sounds poo!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dudeonthebass, Jan 12, 2012.

1. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    Bought a Fender Orignal P Bass Pickup (copy of the 62 pickup) to replace my MIM P Bass pick up, but for some reason to my ears it doesn't sound as good, so i thought i'd get some second opinions

to anyone who has the same pick up, is this what it sounds like, or could i have been sold a dodgy one?

SORRY, MEANT TO POST THIS LINK TO CHECK OUT THE SOUNDS: http://soundcloud.com/davidsmyth/sets/pickupsmim
    Dave! :confused:

2. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    I have the Fender 62' RI p-up in my MIM P and love it!!! I had replaced the stock p-up with a quarterpound, but hated it. I had also replaced the pots, etc. as well. I thought the stock MIM was "muddy", with the R.I. it sounds pretty close to vintage Precision. :cool:

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I switched out a Q-pound that I hated for a 62" ri also, it was a very good decision.

4. frankenp

frankenp

Jul 17, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    Based on your sound clips.. I like the MIM. It sounds a bit fuller and a tad more pleasing to my ears.

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    They both sound good to me, I do like the stronger midrange of the MIM a little better though.

6. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    I do like a bit of midrange! Anyway, is does the original (62) pick up sound how it's supposed to sound, or not ?

7. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    IMHO, yes it does. However, p-up height can make a difference when comparing to other instruments. :cool:

8. Lawkeeper

Lawkeeper

Mar 12, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I laughed when I read the thread title.