New Pickgaurd?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, Mar 25, 2001.

1. If i wanted a different pickgaurd, would it be as easy as unscrewing my current one and screwing on a new one? Cost isn't a factor here, as it's a piece of plastic and can't cost that much.
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Cost me $30 for a new pickguard for my MIM Jazz.Installed in about 30 seconds.Didnt have to screw around with volume/tone knobs or the output jack,cause the Jazz pickguard doesnt cover that stuff.You'll have to deal with that stuff(you play a P-Bass according to your profile).Take your time and it shouldnt be too difficult to install.
  3. agreed with above,, just make sure u get a decent one, no crappy colours, it makes a difference to the look of the bass, it can also sometimes make it feel diffferent , for instance , if the ply is thicker or thiner

get a decent version of the p-bass guard, and when you remove the pots and jack, make sure your not too rough threading the nuts back on, or not tight enough, you don't want to rip the innereds of your bass out with a quick twist of the vol pot and the pickups come with you,,
  4. Yea... if you have a jazz its easy... all you do is screw the old one off and put the new one on since all the pots are on a seperate panel. P-Bass is a bit different since the pots are on the panel... but cost can vary... because NO it isnt just a peice of plastic, they are made from all sorts of different things... some are even metal, and cost varies from around $15-$65.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Why do you want to replace it? I mean, why not take it off?
    This would imply making some replacement, just to fit the controls, but on the other hand you will have a much prettier bass - especially if it's sunburst. I've seen a few, and will do that on mine (dispite borrowed!;) ), when I get an evening free.
  6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Jazz basses are tricky, only because there are so many different "flavors" of Jazz bass--different number of screws on different models, etc.

Check out (I'm pretty sure that's the name; if not, let me know and I'll track it down. But I'm reasonably certain that's it.). They make some of the pickguards that the guitar makers/companies put on their basses originally, and they have a lot of different options at different price levels--clear, mirrored, standard multiple ply plastic, celluloid, you name it.
  7. I've always wanted to take that infernal piece of junk but wasnt real sure where to start. I have a white bass with a white pickgaurd and i hate it. i was thinking a dark reddish - black pickgaurd (go to and look at the deluxe jazz bass, that's the color im thinking of), but taking it off would be even better. Some tips, please? There'd be holes where the screws were and everything...
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    OK, holes... You could just leave them be. Some famous guy did that to the Jazz he defretted...Pastorios, I believe his name was...dead now...not 'cause of the picksguard holes...
    Or, you can use a wood filler and paint. I'd suggest some model paint, used for plastic airplane models and such, 'cause they come in handy bottles. You may have to try a few different nuanses to get the right one. I use a sunburst, so I think I'll just leave them.

But, you need somthing to attach your controls to, and also shield them. I will cut out a smaller part of the pickguard, to do this and to cover the recess - nothing more. You could do that, or get a piece of plastic, wood or metal of the right shape. AND thick enough to handle the controls, both strength wise and attaching wise.

Check shielding and grounding, once you have stripped your bass. This is necessary from time to time on every bass, so why not do all the work at once.

Just work with care, and you and your intrument will be fine.
  9. it sounds cool, taking a different approach to the p bass, but be carefuke and thing about how you cover the control cavity, you dont want to mutilate the pickguard and make a balls up of it,, you'll have to spend more cash, if you want to remove the pickguard, make some paper templates and think about how you ar gonna finish the cut end of the ply, if i were you though,,

i'd go for a tortoise shell PG or a dark red like you said,, the subtle is much more exciting than the obvisous and you wont mess your bass up,, i have a black j bass with a 3 ply B/w/B and the white thin line looks cool,, i love it , i'll try and post a pic soon