New pickguard doesn't fit properly

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Decoyx7, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Hello

Earlier this month I ordered a new American Pro Jazz bass on Reverb. It came on time, plays great and has no issues what so ever. I ordered a tortoise shell pickguard from Thomann, however when installed, there was a quite clear and visible gap between the pickguard and the metal plate where the control knobs are. If I remember correctly, this shouldn't be the case!

So I sent it back and ordered a new one which came today. This is the second one with the same problem!
    I unscrewed the original white plate and placed the new plate on the bass. Surprise! I still have the same gap, despite it being a new pickguard!

I could use some help, I have no idea why this could be and I'm really disappointed about this. The original white guard fits like a glove. There should be no reason any other Fender pickguard doesn't fit.

Thanks for the help.

Pictures of the issue:

IMG_20201217_160857.jpg IMG_20201217_160900.jpg IMG_20201217_160852.jpg

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

seems like that's going around this week --- just saw the same thing on an NBD thread.

the builders might have a solution and/or the tinkerers.

if it was me:
    - leave it alone, move on, play it.
    - move the control plate (new holes, possibly filling old holes first).

good luck! :thumbsup:

bigbassmike and Decoyx7 like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Was the Thomann pickguard licensed by Fender? If intended for Thomann basses, it may not be an exact fit.

While no one but you will likely ever notice, I've done with accessories like this, you get what you pay for.

4. Nope, Fender American Pro Bass, Fender certified pickguard.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    There are minor variation in parts and assembly from bass to bass, so this is not uncommon. If it were mine, I would screw the pickguard in place, remove the control plate, fill its screw holes and relocate the control plate.

96tbird and 202dy like this.
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    On a client's guitar I would advise and get permission before doing the work. Short of cutting a cu$tom pickguard this is the way to do it.

96tbird likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021