1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New pickguard--shiny!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Aug 21, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's my cheapie Cort Curbow Retro that I just had a new mirrored pickguard and truss rod cover made for:

[​IMG]

The bass has had a fretjob in the last year, and is currently set up with TI Superalloys. It plays, and sounds, as good as some basses I've played costing upwards of $1000, or more.

The electronics are active pickups with passive controls (volume, volume, tone). I've thought about dropping some Kent Armstrong lipstick pickups into it, too. :hat

The bass is light, and the neck is smooth. A real joy to play for long periods of time. The action will go as low as you want-- buzz-free, too. I've got it set up with Fender specs, and it plays beautifully.

Here are a couple more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, a before pic:

[​IMG]

2. Very classy. I've been thinking of doing that for my fretless MTD, it is black with no pickguard.

3. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    nice :)

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's super-awesome! How much did the guard set you back? I'd love to have a custom creation like that (w/ truss rod cover -- NICE touch!) on my fretted, which happens to be my mod-monster.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Beautiful bass! nice addition! :bassist:

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    man really accents the chrome hardware, i love it.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Played this bass for a set at my blues gig last night, and it sounds as good as it looks. Of course, between the black and the mirror, I certainly will have to be dilligent about polishing the bass before a gig.

The pickguard and the truss rod cover set me back $40 with shipping from CA. I had it done by a guy named Bryan Boots.

I had to send out my originals to him, and he shipped them all back to me in about 2 weeks--not to shabby.

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. This bass is certaily not "subtle," anymore. :hyper: