New pickguard--shiny!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Aug 21, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's my cheapie Cort Curbow Retro that I just had a new mirrored pickguard and truss rod cover made for:

The bass has had a fretjob in the last year, and is currently set up with TI Superalloys. It plays, and sounds, as good as some basses I've played costing upwards of $1000, or more.

The electronics are active pickups with passive controls (volume, volume, tone). I've thought about dropping some Kent Armstrong lipstick pickups into it, too. :hat

The bass is light, and the neck is smooth. A real joy to play for long periods of time. The action will go as low as you want-- buzz-free, too. I've got it set up with Fender specs, and it plays beautifully.

Here are a couple more pics:

And, a before pic:

2. Very classy. I've been thinking of doing that for my fretless MTD, it is black with no pickguard.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    That's super-awesome! How much did the guard set you back? I'd love to have a custom creation like that (w/ truss rod cover -- NICE touch!) on my fretted, which happens to be my mod-monster.
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Beautiful bass! nice addition! :bassist:
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    man really accents the chrome hardware, i love it.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Played this bass for a set at my blues gig last night, and it sounds as good as it looks. Of course, between the black and the mirror, I certainly will have to be dilligent about polishing the bass before a gig.

The pickguard and the truss rod cover set me back $40 with shipping from CA. I had it done by a guy named Bryan Boots.

I had to send out my originals to him, and he shipped them all back to me in about 2 weeks--not to shabby.

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. This bass is certaily not "subtle," anymore. :hyper: