New Pickup Day: Lollar Overwound P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tindrum, Jun 10, 2021.

1. tindrum

tindrum Supporting Member

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Wow! I have to say this pickup exceeded all of my expectations. It was replacing the stock Mexican ceramic number (which isn’t really bad). I wanted something with a little more grunt but not a super hot blurry mess with a dark huge midrange. Well I have to say this is easily one of the most BALANCED pickups I’ve ever heard. Every single frequency is “in line”. If it makes any sense it sounds like a recording in a way. Not artificial, but like the tone has been perfectly burnished. The slap tone is dripping with a stanky 70’s vibe and finger style both cuts and supports. This is a million miles away from the typical “hot” pickup. It’s like the perfect P tone in a bottle. Just a tiny bit pokey and certainly not overdone. Response from the volume and tone knobs is fantastic as well. Absolutely pleased to no end!

2. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I love lollar pickups, both j or p, but haven't tried his overwound versions. I like your review of them, makes me interested.

tindrum likes this.
  3. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I almost went and bought a Lollar for my J-bass bridge p'up this morning, but having had only incredible experiences with Fralin, ended up with their overwound J model instead.

Can you post any sound clips? I have a P with a Duncan QP in it now. This particular bass is naturally super dark sounding, so the brightness and inherent scoop of the QP seems a good fit to balance it out. But the way you describe the Lollar sound is very intriguing indeed!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021