1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New pickup for a MM3 OLP?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Llusk, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Llusk

Llusk

Aug 28, 2008
    Denmark
    I am the owner of a 5'stringed OLP bass. I really like it in some points; it's cheap, got a decent tone and is very sturdy.

However..

One thing bugs me greatly - the pickup is extremely low set, so there's not really much space to rest your thumb. I've considered putting in a Seymore Duncan SSMB-5A pickup in it, but I'm not sure wheter it will fit or not. I've hear others talk about problems when rewiring the new PU's, so I wanted to hear if anyone got any idea/experience wheter it will do or not?

- Llusk

2. christophergenz

christophergenz Guest

Jan 10, 2008
    Hey brother
    I myself own an MM2, and can't say the same as you as the bass being "sturdy."
    The electronics on mine are about as "sturdy" as 1 ply tissue paper left out in the rain.
    That's beside the point. I too suffered with a low set PU, and instead of changing the pickup, loosen it, and put something soft like folded paper towell in under it. This not only raises the pup's position, but also provides a bit more resistance to the pickup, meaning that you'll be getting fatter tone without losing the balance.

I love the tone of this bass, but I hate the bass.

Good to hear that yours is treating you well!

3. Prop that pickup up with piece(es) of old mosuepad - best under pickup foam ever :)

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Nordstrand makes a MM replacement that's sized for the OLP basses.

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Thats Right

Check out the bottom of this page.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/nordstrand-pickups.htm

The spacing and mounting is different on the OLP and the good folks at Norstrand take care of that ;)

6. Llusk

Llusk

Aug 28, 2008
    Denmark
    Thanks alot for all of the advices.. somehow I just knew that I wasn't the only one who had experienced that problem

7. I just added a thumbrest along the strings. I wasn't that fond of plucking right over the pickup - too close to the bridge.

8. Llusk

Llusk

Aug 28, 2008
    Denmark
    Putting foam under the PU should be doable, but how tough is it to wire a new PU? (Never wired a bass before). But adding a thumb-restish thingy seems like a good idea, but I'm afraid it might break off if there's too much pressure on it? will it hold with just a few screws? (Btw I really do appreciate you guys helpfulness :D)

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The first thing I did when I got my OLPs was to put dense foam under the pickup to get nearer the strings. I used the sticky back foam used under campershells on trucks. With the original pickup sitting in the bottom of the pickup cavity, the tone sucked. Adjusted properly made mountains of difference. :hyper:

Changing out pickups is no biggie if you have any soldering experience. If you don't know how to solder, its time to learn and there are a few threads here on how to do so. The secret is getting both the pot lug and the wire hot enough so the solder will flow over both.

As for a replacement pickup you might also check out Kent Armstrong. Very hot 13.5 ohms, and can be wired with a 3 way switch for HB/series/single coil for tons of versatility.

10. Llusk

Llusk

Aug 28, 2008
    Denmark
    Thanks alot. Will try to put some foam under it when I get the new strings I've ordered. Then I'll look into the whole soldering thing. If I feel like it's doable I'll throw in a new PU.. Thanks a ton :D