1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new pickup for highway one jazz!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by playibanez, Mar 6, 2008.

1. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    hey guys
    thinking of dropping something new in my highway one.

here is my dilemma
    the e string has the low end that i love. but once i get to the a it gets thin, it cuts but its pretty thin sounding.

i dont want a really modern sound either

any help would be great!

2. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    im thinking about a set of nj4's

just read some reveiws

anyone?
    any ideas?
    comments? ha

3. can't go wrong with NJ4s

4. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    hey guys

im still thinking of what pickups i wanna drop in my jazz

heres what ive narrowed it down too by reading the jazz thread on top.

dimarzio- hear they are very full and even bottom end
    seymour duncan antiquity II- also has lots of smooth bottom end
    nj4- hear these are just really good pickups

im leading towards the first two because i hear they give you nice even bottom end.

im looking for more bottom end on my jazz not just on the low string. and more even output then i have on my stock pickups.

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

5. Fender sells some Custom Shop 1960's Jazz Bass pickups, but they cost a pretty penny (more like 18,000 pretty pennies, or $180). That's all I can think of. I've read/heard good things about them.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Lindy Fralin will wind them to your taste. I seem to remember that if you don't like them, he'll rewind them for free.

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Has Sound Hot-J's. Just got a pair again after going Nord for a while and I will NEVER go nordstrand again. Not your typical pickup. Their not waiting on the shelf for you to buy them. These are handmade, wax potted and sound GODLY.

8. Benji5678

Benji5678

Jan 5, 2006
    Maine
    +1 on the fender custom shop 60's. I got a set in my highway one jazz and they sound incredible, turned the bass from a decent sounding bass to a great sounding bass.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I'm a fan of SD 1/4 pounders ...

10. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Are you sure it's the pickups causing the problem, not the strings or the height adjustments?

11. Lace TranSensors. I'll get back to you on that one once I get them in the mail. (If I ever do. =O )

12. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    +2 on Fender Custom Shop 60's! I replaced the pups on my Classic 60's Jazz (MIM, but same pups as yours), they deliver much more girth on the E and A.

13. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    are you saying dont go with the nordstrands? or the nordys were godly. im confused ha

but the fender 60s is a good idea? will give the bass alot fuller even sound? with the low end im looking for?

i wish i could try out the pickups in my bass, but that aint gunna happen.

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Before you go changing pickups and possibly being disappointed in the results, do some work on setting up your pickup height. Also set up the bass for the action you like. Try a different set of strings. Personally I'm not too fond of the stock Fender strings.

After you've played it a while you'll have a better idea of what pickups will be best for you.

15. use thicker gauge strings and you may find that they are not quite as "thin"

16. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    it is set up well.

and yea those crappy fender strings are gone there are dr sun beams on there.

i do need a thicker guage they didnt have any when i bought the strings.

i think im going to get a thicker guage toss those on and see how taht works. il keep the lighter dr's as a spare set.

thanks for the help guys.